Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Separated at Birth?

This is what you get when you post a photograph of yourself on the Web. Graham Powell, the mastermind behind the CrimeSpot aggregator site, has chosen yours truly to be the subject of his latest “Mug Shots” comparison. Time was, when people mistook me on the street for either Richard Dreyfuss (during his younger, bearded days) or, less often, Steven Spielberg. But apparently, I also look like professional wrestler and manager “Captain Lou” Albano, a guy I’d never even heard of until today. (What a sheltered life I live, eh?) Alternatively, Powell suggests that I resemble American film producer, screenwriter, and political activist Jeff Dowd, on whom the character of “The Dude,” from The Big Lebowski, was based. This latter parallel isn’t entirely inappropriate, since--aside from his cinematic work--Dowd is probably best remembered for his time in my hometown of Seattle. In 1970, he was one of the notorious “Seattle Seven,” arrested for “conspiracy to incite a riot” in the wake of a violent protest at the city’s federal courthouse. I’ve done a bit of political protesting myself, though I have yet to achieve a comparable criminal record.

1 comment:

Graham Powell said...

I could have sworn I once saw a picture of Jeff Dowd and Jeff Bridges in which Dowd had a goatee. Apparently not.

You've never heard of Captain Lou? Did you spend the 80s living in a cave?