Monday, November 23, 2009

Small Screen, Big Impact

It’s not wholly crime-fiction oriented, but Patti Abbott has assembled a few bloggers to write today about TV shows they’ve loved. Her own choice is Leave It to Beaver. Ending her post is a list of other bloggers who are joining in this meme.

Meanwhile, blogger Jared Case--inspired by The A.V. Club’s “Best TV Series of the ’00s” feature--has assembled his own rundown of 20 favorite shows from the last decade. It’s a good collection, including The West Wing, Sports Night, Life, and The Shield. Of course, if I had time to create my own such roster, which I don’t, it would also feature Deadwood, the three-season HBO series that blended the western genre so neatly with Shakespeare for consistently engaging (and surprisingly fresh) drama. I would probably want to add Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Life on Mars (both the U.S. and UK versions), plus Foyle’s War, Scrubs and Burn Notice, and maybe Crossing Jordan as well, and pretty soon I’d be working up a lengthy post of my own ... which I don’t have time to write, of course ...

Finally, while we’re on the subject of boob tube diversions, note that AOL’s Inside TV blog has put together a “Best ’50s TV Shows” selection, which touts 77 Sunset Strip, The Untouchables, Dragnet, and Perry Mason, among others.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sort of depressing how many of those TV shows I know. Both in what it says about my age and what it says about how much TV I watched.

RJR said...

Mike Hammer need's to be in the best of the 50's.

RJR