Monday, November 23, 2009

Bullet Points: Pre-Thanksgiving Day Edition

• “The usual hyperbole aside, 2009 was a terrific year for the Irish crime novel, and will, I’m pretty certain, be seen in retrospect as a watershed year in terms of quality,” novelist Declan Burke writes in his blog, introducing the first Crime Always Pays Irish Novel of the Year Award. He says he’s developing a shortlist of candidates, and will then post a poll at Crime Always Pays, so that we can all have our say. Keep on the lookout for it.

• I knew I’d seen that dress somewhere before: from Brian Lindenmuth, fashion maven.

• Janet Rudolph prepares for Thanksgiving on Thursday by compiling a list of crime-fiction works befitting the holiday. More thoughts on the matter from Les Blatt.

• The second part of Mark Troy’s interview with Lono Waiwaiole (Dark Paradise)--begun in Make Mine Mystery--concludes in Troy’s own blog, Hawaiian Eye.

The artwork of James Bond.

• Have you signed up yet for the next Left Coast Crime convention, to be held in Los Angeles in mid-March?

• Eric Stone submits his latest novel, Shanghaied, to Marshal Zeringue’s Page 69 Test. The results are here.

• I forgot to mention Cullen Gallagher’s interview with Tom Piccirilli, author of the new novel Shadow Season. So here I am telling you to go read it. Now.

• Another interview worth reading, this time with Gerald Seymour.

• I bet you’ve never seen an A-Z book like this one before.

• And the 1970s British series UFO was one of my favorite TV shows as a boy. I think I can be talked into paying to see a movie version of that science-fiction drama--but only if filmmakers reuse the Barry Gray theme music and insist that female stars wear the same bodysuits that made the original show so watchable.

No comments: