Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Seeing the Light

Coloradan Tom Piccirilli has submitted to being interviewed by Hard-boiled Wonderland’s Jedidiah Ayres. Perhaps the most interesting part of their exchange comes when blogger Ayres asks the author whether he faced any “unforeseen challenges” in writing for a blind protagonist in his new novel, Shadow Season. Answered Piccirilli: “I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 10, and the older I get the thicker they get. So at its heart, Shadow Season is about my own fear of blindness. Again, I did a smattering of research but, and this might sound a little Afterschool Special-ish, I wrote most of the novel with my eyes shut. Sounds goofball, I know, but imagining having to deal with certain issues in the dark really started to spook and frustrate me.” The complete interview is here.

No comments: