Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Now, That’s an Excuse I Can Understand

As someone who has been working on a book of his own for a long time, I thought this excerpt from a recent Publishers Weekly interview said it all:
An interview with George Dawes Green, whose new novel, Ravens, will be published by Grand Central on July 15.

PW: It’s been 14 years since your last novel; what took
you so long?!


GDG: I got distracted. I went diving in the Galapagos Islands and spotted a frail momentary seahorse; I read Annie Dillard’s The Maytrees; Larry Gwynn bluffed me off a full house with a jack-high (in Wanda’s house, under live oaks, in the presence of witnesses); I founded The Moth; I wrote the scripts for a few movies; a bruja gave me the evil eye in Santiago Atitlan and I was nearly murdered a few hours later; Skye Sullivan and I, on the coldest night of the year, squeezed into Romulus’s coat together, and shuffled home through the dark streets of Manhattan.
You tell them, George.

2 comments:

Zuri said...

The Galapagos Islands are the most incredible living museum of evolutionary changes, with a huge variety of exotic species (birds, land animals, plants) and landscapes not seen anywhere else.

Evil Eye said...

Just be sure to stay away from the Evil Eye!