Friday, May 22, 2009

Hollywood and Pyne

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been pretty disappointed with the recent announcements of what America’s four major TV networks have in store for viewers next fall--especially NBC, which is sacrificing five of its precious primetime hours each week to the unfunny Jay Leno. I mean, do we really need an NCIS spinoff, or more tension-filled medical dramas, or a “reimagining” of the 1984-1985 alien invasion series V (even if it does bring back the captivating Morena Baccarin of Firefly fame)?

However, as TV Squad’s Bob Sassone reports, detective-fiction fans might find a bright spot in the fall schedule, thanks to an as-yet-unnamed TNT private-eye drama:
The untitled show that I’m most looking forward to (actually, the new show I’m looking forward to the most in general) is a new private eye drama set in 1954 Los Angeles. I’ve been saying for years that TV needs a new private eye show again (we almost had one a couple of seasons ago with Marlowe), and this could be it. I'd love to see it filmed in black and white, but who knows if audiences will want that these days (stupid audiences). Maybe Mad Men will usher in a whole new wave of shows set in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I'd like that.
A project of Warner Horizon Television, this untitled series is evidently the brainchild of screenwriter Daniel Pyne, whose credits include the 2004 remake of The Manchurian Candidate, Doc Hollywood, and Pacific Heights. Pyne also penned a number of Miami Vice episodes in the 1980s, which alone gives him cred with me.

Keep a lookout for more about this TV project.

READ MORE:The Eyes Have It,” by J. Kingston Pierce (The Rap Sheet); “I Like to Watch,” by Heather Havrilesky (Salon).

2 comments:

Gerald So said...

FOX's adaptation of DC Comics' Human Target looks good to me. Here's a YouTube clip.

MysterLynch said...

While I am not as hard on Leno as you are, I do agree that ditching five prime time hours (in a time slot normally reserved for dramas) for him is goofy.

But it is clear that networks are looking to cut expenses and dramas are generally not cheap.