Thursday, February 08, 2007

Our Mr. Brooks

I’m not a big fan of American actor Kevin Costner. Yes, I liked Silverado, The Untouchables, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Dances With Wolves, and Wyatt Earp. But Waterworld? Tin Cup? And Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves? Don’t even get me started.

So I find myself torn about this summer’s opening of the film Mr. Brooks, which finds Costner playing an ostensibly ordinary family man, who lives a second life as a Mr. Hyde sort of killer (his alter ego being portrayed by William Hurt). Although I’m inclined to roll my eyes at this casting, the trailer for Mr. Brooks makes the movie looked awfully damn promising. Besides, anything that also features Marg Helgenberger (China Beach, CSI) can’t be too bad, can it? Watch the Mr. Brooks trailer here.

3 comments:

FlaFan said...

Hello. I have a site called Costner Cinema Chat. Actually, Mr. Brooks will not open in theaters until June 1.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Thanks for pointing out that the release date has changed. I see, though, that the IMDB is reporting a release in August, not June. Don't you love it when Hollywood is vague about such things? I've modified my write-up to cover both possibilities.

Thanks,
Jeff

MysterLynch said...

Tin Cup was ok. Costner's relationbship with Cheech was pretty entertaining.

If you want to be blow away by Costner, I would suggest The Upside of Anger. I was shocked at his performance, which was quite good.