Monday, October 16, 2006

The Third Act

I don’t write L.A.-set books any longer. I made a conscious decision to leave Los Angeles in 1981. I moved to suburban New York, Connecticut, Kansas City, Carmel, San Francisco. And now, I am back. And as they say about the third act of my life, more will be revealed.

I had taken L.A. and the forties and fifties as far as it could go with The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz. I’ve taken it as far as I can. I’m a historical novelist now and that’s it.

I don’t write noir. I write L.A.-set books and historically set books throughout the bulk of America. Put that aside, if there is a subtitle to the “L.A. Quartet,” it is bad men involved with strong women. I haven’t actually started the writing of the new book with the woman as the central character, but it’s in my mind. And no! I won’t talk about it. I’m not tellin’ anybody. I know exactly where I will go with the last terrain of books in my career. It’s a groove, because I keep getting better and better.

I live back in Los Angeles now; I moved back a few months ago. Women kept dumping me. I had to get out of town. What do I do? I lie in the dark, talk to women who aren’t in the room with me. That’s why I had to get out of town. Twice.

Final words? Buy my books or my bull terrier will attack your ass.

4 comments:

Reese said...

Are you really James Ellroy or this just a gag?

I'll assume it's not a gag.

I just finished reading "Brown's Requim" last night and, the part where Fritz starts drinking again and meets the strange hippies on the beach - WOW! That's some great writing.

There's one scene in "The Quiet American" that was my all time favourite scene from a book, but I think your scene just bumped that one to second place.

Later!

John DuMond said...

I'm currently reading The Black Dahlia. I bought it, so you can call the bull terrier off. Great book. I read Clandestine last summer. Liked that one, too. If you keep writing them, I'll keep buying them. Hell, I can't shoplift them. Your later novels are too freaking thick to conceal. Maybe if I wore baggier clothes...

Anonymous said...

You need to get back to the same pace you set with your earlier books. I can't wait several years between novels, man! Love your books and you are my favorite writer, but c'mon already!

flubby said...

Ellroy, I'm a big fan of yours and I appreciate you would help out this fine blog. But with all due respect, I can't wait much longer for "Police Gazette." Any chance we're going to see it any time soon?

Working on Destination Morgue right now. Keep that pit bull at bay and finish that book!!!