Friday, July 12, 2019

Deadly’s David Race

This year’s Deadly Ink Mystery Conference is scheduled for August 2-4 in Parsippany, New Jersey. Among the highlights of that convention will be the presentation of the 2019 David Award, named in honor of early Deadly Ink supporter David G. Sasher. Here are the nominees:

Yesterday’s News, by R.G. Belsky (Oceanview)
Died in the Wool, by Peggy Ehrhart (Kensington)
The Consultant, by Tj O’Connor (Oceanview)
Misty Treasure, by Linda Rawlins (Riverbench)
Second Story Man, by Charles Salzberg (Down & Out)
Feral Attraction, by Eileen Watkins (Kensington)

Just one mystery here: Deadly Ink’s Web site says this commendation will be given to “the best mystery published in 2018.” Yet according to Amazon, Salzberg’s novel came out in November 2017. Maybe the eligibility period isn’t quite as rigid as it seems.

(Hat tip to Mystery Fanfare.)

3 comments:

Charles Salzberg said...

Amazon is wrong. It came out in 2018, which is what the copyright on the facing page says. That’s why it was just nominated for a 2018 Shamus Award, too. They may have that wrong date because that’s when the book was posted for pre-sale.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Charles!

Cheers,
Jeff

Charles Salzberg said...

My pleasure. It wasn't only you--I was contacted by Deadly Ink about it and it had me scratching my head because I was pretty sure I knew it came out last March. But they actually had me going to the book itself to check--and there it was, opposite the title page, Copyright 2018. It was a little Twilight Zoney, but at least I know I'm not crazy...yet.