Monday, February 18, 2019

Deighton, Samson, and Fitting In

British espionage novelist Len Deighton (The IPCRESS File, Funeral in Berlin, SS-GB) turns 90 years old today. To help celebrate, Rob Mallows of The Deighton Dossier has collected a wide variety of remarks from the author’s fans addressing one particular question: What do Len Deighton’s books mean to you as a reader?

Among the comments is this one from Simon Hamid, described only as being somewhere in America, who makes clear that reading fiction can help people feel more comfortable in the world:
The first time I read Len Deighton’ s work I was a young student in graduate school, struggling to fit in. Being brought up across cultures and countries always made me a little unsure of myself, mainly because it seemed others were unsure of me. Or at least it seemed that way!

Reading about Bernard Samson’s life, his struggles and insecurities, and issues with acceptance, made me feel that I was not alone in feeling estranged. I loved the way the character made himself into a sort of working-class hero in his own mind. It allowed Bernie Samson to deal with the intrigues of the office, and also to feel a sense of purpose, as he could communicate across all social classes. He had a unique emotional understanding of people, if not of himself.

In the end, Len Deighton’s portrayal of Samson made me feel understood and more comfortable in my own skin. It finally seemed like there was a writer who could understand the isolation that comes from trying to fit in everywhere, and still remain selfishly unique. When I first became immersed in the initial Samson Trilogy … [
Berlin Game, Mexico Set, and London Match], I would often come across issues in real life and ask myself, “How would Bernie handle this?”

Thanks, Len! Your books have given me entertainment, but also consolation and contentment! Your writing made me realise, through fiction, that I was not alone in trying to live among different cultures, and that I could make my own space.
Click here to read more praise for Deighton’s work.

READ MORE:Happy Birthday, Len Deighton,” by Ayo Onatade (Shotsmag Confidential).

1 comment:

Rob Mallows said...

Thanks for the post - some very personal comments received from readers around the world, highlighting how fictional characters can mean such a lot.