The New York City-based Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin fan organization, The Wolfe Pack, has announced the list of finalists for its 2015 Nero Award. This prize is presented annually “for the best American mystery written in the tradition of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe stories.” The shortlisted contenders are:
• Herbie’s Game, by Timothy Hallinan (Soho Press)
• The Detective & the Pipe Girl, by Michael Craven (HarperCollins)
• First Light, by Al Lamanda (Five Star)
• The Detective, by James Patrick Hunt (Cengage Gale)
• Peter Pan Must Die, by John Verdon (Crown)
The winning work and author will be announced in early December, during the Black Orchid Banquet, to be held in Manhattan.
Last year’s Nero Award recipient was David Morrell, who won it for his first Thomas De Quincey historical mystery, Murder as a Fine Art.