You’ll have to wait until Thursday, April 24, to see the complete list of authors and novels shortlisted--in seven categories--for the 2014 Arthur Ellis Awards. But the Crime Writers of Canada has announced the longlist for one of those categories, Best Novel. They are:
• Walls of a Mind, by John Brooke (Signature Editions)
• The Wolves of St. Peter’s, by Gina Buonaguro and Janice Kirk (HarperCollins Canada)
• The Devil’s Making, by Sean Haldane (Stone Flower Press)
• Presto Variations, by Lee Lamothe (Dundurn Press)
• The Rainy Day Killer, by Michael McCann (Plaid Raccoon Press)
• Stranglehold, by Robert Rotenberg (Simon & Schuster Canada)
• Miss Montreal, by Howard Shrier (Vintage Canada)
• The Guilty, by Sean Slater (Simon & Schuster UK)
• An Inquiry into Love and Death, by Simone St. James (Penguin)
• The Drowned Man, by David Whellams (ECW Press)
These 10 titles were culled from a collection of more than 70 books entered for consideration in the Best Novel category. You will find the complete list of titles, plus the rundown of contenders in this year’s half-dozen other Arthur Ellis Award categories, here.
Winners of the 2014 awards will be announced during an event in Toronto, Ontario, scheduled for Thursday, June 5.