Fifty books in 10 categories were announced as finalists today in the running for the 2013 Los Angeles Times Book Prizes. Winners will receive their awards during a ceremony on April 11 (the evening before the start of this year’s L.A. Times Festival of Books). Contenders in the Mystery/Thriller category are as follows:
• Hour of the Red God, by Richard Crompton (Sarah Crichton)
• The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith (Mulholland)
• Sycamore Row, by John Grisham (Doubleday)
• The Rage, by Gene Kerrigan (Europa Editions)
• The Collini Case, by Ferdinand von Schirach (Viking)
In addition, Daniel Woodrell’s The Maid’s Version (Little, Brown), which in some respects qualifies as a character-rich crime novel, is a contestant in the Fiction category.
Click here to see this year’s full list of finalists.