Friday, June 01, 2012

It’s Millar Time

Today’s selection of “forgotten books” posts on the Web highlights the many exceptional works of Margaret Millar (1915-1994), who won the 1983 Grand Master Award for lifetime achievement from the Mystery Writers of America and was, not insignificantly, married to fellow novelist Kenneth Millar--better known as Ross Macdonald. “During the 1950s the Canadian author Margaret Millar proved herself, along with Patricia Highsmith, to be arguably the great innovator of the postwar crime and mystery genre,” explains Sergio Angelini of Tipping My Fedora. “She was certainly crucial stepping stone in the later development of such notable figures as Ruth Rendell.”

Some of the Millar books included in this blog tribute are The Listening Walls, A Stranger in My Grave, Do Evil in Return, Wall of Eyes, An Air That Kills, How Like an Angel, Mermaid, Fire Will Freeze, The Devil Loves Me Best, and The Fiend. “Forgotten books” organizer Patti Abbott features three additional Millar novels in her own blog. All of this reminds me of just how few Margaret Millar books I’ve read myself. I guess I had better start investigating further.

Beyond the notes on Millar’s works, today’s odes to oldies include write-ups on Geoffrey Norman’s Blue Chipper, Elspeth Huxley’s Murder on Safari, Carter Dickson’s The Reader Is Warned and The Department of Queer Complaints, Frederick Nebel’s But Not the End, James R. McCahery’s Grave Undertaking, and Mike Shayne’s Mystery Magazine.

Again, clickety-clack here for the full rundown.

1 comment:

John Purcell said...

I found a First Edition in the book room at B'con San Fran of A Stranger in My Grave after John Connolly and Declan Hughes's panel on "Top 10 Crime Fiction" you must read before you die, so since she was no longer with us, I had John and Declan sign it.

Good book too. I really enjoyed it.