Friday, May 25, 2012

Covering a Landmark

This coming Sunday, May 27, will mark the 75th anniversary of the opening of San Francisco’s magnificent Golden Gate Bridge. To commemorate this occasion, The Bancroft Library at the University of California, Berkeley has put together a guided Web tour of that heavily traveled span as displayed on the covers of mystery, crime, and detective novels. There are book jackets dating back to 1940, though most of them are of much more recent vintage.

Bancroft librarian Randal S. Brandt (who also manages the Web sites Golden Gate Mysteries and A David Dodge Companion) offers a short intro to the exhibit in Mystery Fanfare. Or click here to go directly to the tour, which is titled “Shrouded in Mysteries.”

Being a longtime supporter of and frequent visitor to San Francisco, I wish I could say that I’ve read all of the books Brandt has collected for this Web tour. I haven’t ... but that only means I have a pleasant challenge ahead of me before the 80th anniversary ...

No comments: