Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Substance Over Sales, Please

What does it say about either the need for people to make their existence known online, or the ridiculous extremes to which advertising efforts will go nowadays, that blogs like The Rap Sheet are flooded with pointless comments? I simply delete comments left on posts that really have nothing to say about the content of those blog entries, but are designed to lead readers to other sites. Here’s one I received yesterday:
Hi Author,

Details are very true and factual, I do really learned something new upon reading this interesting post. Good job! and Thanks!
Nobody who screens their blog’s comments would be justified in allowing through such vacuous remarks. But the person who sent it obviously hoped I wouldn’t look at it closely, because it also carried a link to a site where hair-care products can be purchased.

4 comments:

Harvee said...

This kind of comment is called Spam, and Blogger kindly screens them for me. If the comments are from genuine book bloggers, they stay in!

J. Kingston Pierce said...

That's at least how it's supposed to work. But I am surprised at how many spam messages make it through the Blogger barrier.

Cheers,
Jeff

pattinase (abbott) said...

I get some ludicrous ones. So humorous I am loathe to delete them.

Robert Wilhelm said...

I would like to see a study on how effective this type of spam is. I realize it costs them nothing, but can it really be worth the effort? A lot of people seem to think so.