Saturday, March 27, 2010

Time to Help a Fellow Reader

You may recall that a couple of months back, a large portion of Independent Crime blogger Nathan Cain’s library was sacrificed in an apartment fire. Now, he’s asking readers for ideas to help him rebuild and enhance his collection.

“I have money to spend on 250 paperbacks and 150 large paperbacks,” Cain wrote earlier today. “It will be reimbursed by my insurance company up to a point. What I’m asking you to do is make comments on what you think I should buy. I have an opportunity here to build a new library from the ground up, so I just don’t want crime fiction suggestions (although I do want crime fiction suggestions). I want to know what you think I should own.”

You can leave your recommendations here.

1 comment:

kathy d. said...

Not being able to conjure up nearly 50 years of reading mysteries so quickly, I would offer some suggestions to beef up the sadly reformed library:

Books by Arnaldur Indridasson
A collection of the key books by Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler.
An anthology by Arthur Conan Doyle of Sherlock Holmes, a selected anthology of
A collection by key books by George Simenon
A few by Edgar Allen Poe (Murders in the Rue Morgue)
Pick out 1 or 2 by Dorothy Sayers, Josephine Tey
Then a few by Fred Vargas
A few by Henning Mankell
A few by Donna Leon, Andrea Camellari, Magdalen Nabb
One or two by John Le Carre and Len Deighton
Try Kelli Stanley's City of Dragons and
Nina Revoyr's The Age of Dreaming
One by Peter Temple
One by Adrian Hyland
Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly and perhaps The Brass Verdict or a few about Bosch
The Suspect by L.R. Wright
a few by Kjell Ericksson, Karin Fossum, Jo Nesbo, Hassan Nasar
A few Chicago authors: See the Outfit Collective for advice: you've got Sakey, Paretsky (must get "Hardball" at least), Libby Hellmen,
one by Archer Mayor
Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan

That's just off top of my head.
Buying anthologies saves space; one book can carry 3 novels, an anthology or collectionm, thus killing a few proverbial birds with one book.

Will try to come up with more.
Although reasons are sad to do this, I would love to do this myself.