Monday, March 29, 2010

Battle of the Stars

As promised, blogger Jen Forbus has posted Round Four of her “World’s Favorite Detective” tournament. What began earlier this month as a competition between 64 well-respected fictional sleuths has now boiled down to a fight between just eight, half of them classic protagonists, the others more modern figures. With match-ups like these, how does a crime-fiction fan ever choose?

Harry Bosch vs. Sam Spade
Sherlock Holmes vs. Lincoln Rhyme
Elvis Cole vs. Philip Marlowe
Hercule Poirot vs. Dave Robicheaux

This isn’t a great scientific study. One does not expect to learn much from the outcome of the contest. It’s simply entertaining. You can help narrow the field down to four by clicking here.

READ MORE:Who Is Your Favorite Female Detective?” by
Maxine Clarke (Petrona).

5 comments:

Richard R. said...

Spade, Holmes, Marlowe, Poirot. How else can you possibly vote? Those new-fangled guys don't have the legs yet.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

I have to agree with you, Richard. My votes went to the same characters.

Cheers,
Jeff

MysterLynch said...

I had real problems with Bosch/Spade. Sam had one book, albeit an awesome one.

Marlowe is my pick to take it all.

kathy d. said...

I must disagree, Harry Bosch got my vote.

He's been detecting way into middle age and his thinking is always interesting.

If I had to pick a book for a train trip, without a thought, I'd grab one featuring him.

Maxine Clarke said...

Thank you very kindly for the link. And if anyone would like to nominate their favourite female detective, as the competition you post about has none in the shortlist, then please do visit petrona and let us know your choice. I have suggested about 20 names in my post, and there are plenty of others in the comments.

Harry Bosch is a hard one to beat, in my view, I have to admit.