Monday, November 30, 2009

“Match Wits with Ellery Queen”

I only just returned to my office, where I found an e-mail note from the Web site TV Shows on DVD. It tells me that “the classic NBC ‘whodunit’ series, 1975’s Ellery Queen, will finally come to DVD in 2010.” The site goes on to explain:
The short-lived show starred the late Jim Hutton (father of actor Timothy Hutton, and seen in classic films such as The Green Berets and Where the Boys Are. The program, based on the character from the classic novels, has gained a cult following over the years, despite only consisting of a single season: a pilot telefilm titled “Too Many Suspects” and 22 regular hour-long episodes. ...

No released date is available yet, nor any other information. We were told, by a VERY reliable source, to expect this to arrive in the coming year.
This qualifies as exciting news in my book. I was a big fan of that Hutton series, which also starred David Wayne as Richard Queen, amateur sleuth Ellery’s police inspector father. A couple of years back, I managed to track down a high-quality bootleg copy of the NBC series on the Web and have slowly been nibbling my way through the episodes ever since. (My wife isn’t nearly as enchanted by the show as I am, so I usually watch it when she’s not around.) I don’t know that I am a candidate to buy the “official version,” but there are several readers of this blog who I know would be.

I’ll file updates as I hear more about this.

8 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

I'm one of those candidates. I remember it fondly. I think I have all the books but two novels and a couple of collections.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

The Green Berets and Where The Boys Are-classic films?

Brian R. Sheridan said...

YES YES
YES YES!!!!! I loved this show when I was a little boy - it made my a huge mystery fan. I have tapes of some of the reruns and have purchased "collectors" copies on DVD, which were edited or otherwise sub-par! Ill be first in line for this amazing show. Next we need "City of Angels" and the NBC "Nero Wolfe" on DVD.

Anonymous said...

A cable network called Retro TV has been playing the series at 10 p.m Sundays for the past few months, which has been must-TIVO Tv for me. A wonderful show.

David Cranmer said...

Exciting news. I never saw the show but am a big fan of the books.

Kelli Stanley said...

Finally!!! :) I'm with Brian--I loved this show, particularly the address to the audience at the end. Can't wait to see it again!! Thanks for letting us know, Jeff.

Now, if Universal would just release Boris Karloff's Thriller--probably the best horror anthology ever--I'll be a happy TV kid. :)

Kelli

Martin Edwards said...

I'm keen, too. I have seen three episodes on BBC TV, and I really enjoyed them.

mike doran said...

Actually, if you want a truly classic Jim Hutton film, my choice would be Who's Minding The Mint?, from 1967. A wild caper comedy directed by Howard Morris, with a gang of comics led by Hutton trying to break into the Government printing office in order to print money (it all makes sense in the context of the movie).

Also you get to see Dorothy Provine in a tutu...