Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Name’s Brolin, James Brolin

I’ve heard before that James Brolin, who first gained fame by co-starring with Robert Young in the American TV series Marcus Welby, M.D. (1969-1976), once screen-tested for the role of James Bond in Octopussy (1983). However, I had never actually seen how he looked in the role. Now I have, and so can you--just click here. All I can say is, I’m glad Roger Moore didn’t abandon the part right away. Here’s another clip of Brolin as Bond.

Northern Irish-Kiwi actor Sam Neill might have been a better choice than Brolin for the role, but he was still no Pierce Brosnan.

4 comments:

mike doran said...

Uh, Jeff...

That was Marcus Welby,M.D. with Robert Young where James Brolin made his splash. Owen Marshall's sidekick was Lee Majors.

Other than that, nice piece.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Whoops! You're right, of course, Mike. I must have been briefly confused because of the fact that Arthur Hill from Owen Marshall: Counselor at Law crossed over several times to appear on Marcus Welby, M.D. I've now fixed the information. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Cheers,
Jeff

Elizabeth Foxwell said...

Um, Jeff, Sam Neill was born in Northern Ireland and brought up in New Zealand.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Oh, sigh. This is what happens when you write too many things too quickly.

Thanks for the correction, Elizabeth. I've changed to item to reflect your information.

Cheers,
Jeff