Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Load of Scrap

Independent Crime’s Nathan Cain has tagged me to participate in the latest Internet meme, “Honest Scrap,” which calls on folks to “spit out 10 honest things about yourself.” Although this is quite reminiscent of an earlier meme that asked bloggers to reveal “16 random things” about themselves, I guess I can play along.

1. I didn’t have my first date until college. (Thanks, Cindy, you were a real trooper.) Blame this as much on the fact that I attended an all-boys Catholic high school as on any natural introversion.

2. When I was a teenager, I distressed my mother by watching what seemed like endless hours of TV game shows (Hollywood Squares, The Match Game, Password, etc.). Nowadays, you’d have to pay me to waste time in front of Deal or No Deal, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? or series of that ilk.

3. I can’t stand to have flies in my house, and will swat the little bastards at any and every opportunity. On the other hand, I graciously usher spiders out the door unmolested.

4. I almost never read books recommended to me. Even by friends.

5. To the best of my recollection, I’ve only ever voted for one Republican in my life, and he’s no longer living. I grew to distrust members of the GOP during Richard M. Nixon’s Watergate scandal, and there’s nothing the party has done since to give me more confidence in its honesty. Trying to convince the country that President Bill Clinton was unfit for office and should therefore be brought down by what was effectively a coup attempt in the 1990s? Selling the media a bill of goods about “weapons of mass destruction” in Iraq that justified breaking the Treasury to pay for George W. Bush’s war on Islam? Promoting the idea of privatizing Social Security, but then lying about their intentions? Propounding one falsehood after the next to try and stop President Barack Obama’s efforts to reform health care and save the U.S. economy? Republicans think that Americans are stupid or uninformed enough to fall for their crap ... and the sad thing is how often they’re right.

6. On the other hand, and much to my shame, I used to think that Barbara Bush (the younger one, of course) was pretty hot.

7. My favorite number has always been 73. I don’t know why.

8. I almost never answer the telephone. The only people who get through to me directly are those whose names appear in my cell phone’s rather short list of contacts; otherwise, I let incoming calls go to voice-mail. I much prefer e-mail, which allows me to receive messages, consider them, and then get back to people as I am able.

9. I would rather eat breakfast than any other meal of the day. When I’m working hard on something interesting, I can go all day long without eating, no problem.

10. I’ve always preferred the company of women to that of men. I find women more interesting and, thankfully, less prone to making a competition out of everything. I used to have more female friends than male ones, but since I got married 18 years ago, that imbalance has tipped in the opposite direction to maintain domestic harmony.

And a bonus #11: The first person I was ever assigned by a professional newspaper to interview was former Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee, who had been invited to speak at my college as part of its annual lecture series. During the course of our discussion, we talked about the limits of the press’ intrusion into the private lives of public figures. (Q: “If [President] Carter was sleeping with someone [other than his wife], would it be a story?” A: “Depends on who.”) And I asked whether former first lady Betty Ford’s alcoholism should be considered fair game for reporters. Bradlee responded:
Oh, sure. She made it [a story]. She was spaced out all the time, Betty Ford; she really was. It was plain. And I’ll tell you when I noticed it most at the [1976 Republican convention]. Her seat was at right angles to the press box where I was sitting, and she was obviously out to lunch. Remember than scene where she was kind of swaying to the music? And the camera would go off to what’s-her-face [Nancy] Reagan in the corner and back to her? She was flying.
Rather than obeying the rules and tagging 10 other people to add their own “honest things” to the pile, let me instead just point Rap Sheet readers to a few other bloggers who have already made these sorts of lists: Randy Johnson, Darius Whiteplume, and the wonderfully named Max the Severed Head. If you would like to contribute your own self-revealing facts in the Comments section of this post, please feel free.

3 comments:

Julia Buckley said...

I would STILL watch Match Game. It was the greatest. And having TAUGHT at an all-boys Catholic high school, I can understand why it was difficult to get a date. Those guys were sort of cut off from femanity.

The Ben Bradlee thing is very cool. The closest I can come to Ben Bradlee is saying that I admire Jason Robards. :)

Ed Talkingbird said...

1. I had my first date when I was a callow youth of 12. She was two years older than me, which totally blew my mind. I will never forget whatshername.
2. I have always had a burning desire to be a novelist and have started over 100 books. Unfortunately, my opening lines were so bad that I never got any further.
3. I too, have been a life long Democrat. At one point I was tempted to cast a vote for a Republican, since I was totally unimpressed by Adlai Stevenson. I then took a closer look at Eisenhower's choice of the one heartbeat away person and Nixon exudeded slime even then. That gave Stevenson one more vote.
4. Living in south Florida, the big TV excitement was when the cable feed came down and we saw the shows everybody talked about last week at the same time they did and I still couldn't understand why. To me, it was a total waste of technology.
5. I got my first job when I walked into a 250 watt AM radio station and offered to work for nothing for one year to learn the trade. They took me up on it and a year later put me on payroll.
6. My first wife was convinced by her aunt, who had been her guardian, to take our two year old daughter and leave me, with the admonishment in 1957 to never contact them again. I didn't until 2 years ago when I found my daughter after 52 years. Thank you Google.
7.,8.,9.,and 10. Nothing worthwhile here.
Ed Shaw

Max the drunken severed head said...

Thanks for the "wonderfully named" compliment, J. Kingston! I only today discovered your blog, and am glad I did!

A few more random items about m'self, (not shared at my blog):

1. I prefer phone conversation to e-mails.

2. I like the old "Sir Henry Merrivale" mysteries by the once-famous writer, John Dickson Carr. Except for my brother, I don't know anyone who remembers the novels.

3. I used to perform in interactive murder mysteries, one of which was done onboard a train. That was fun.