Monday, October 13, 2008

Leavin’ on a Jet Plane

Well, after five days spent in Baltimore, my wife and I are finally heading home to Seattle. Bouchercon came off this year without any obvious flaws, everyone appeared pleased with the work Ruth Jordan and Judy Bobalik did, and I managed not to add too many pounds of books to my luggage. I had never been to Baltimore before this trip, but I hope to return again someday. Laura Lippman should be proud of her city for the reception it gave all of us. I’d been expecting some rain, but the weather here over the last few days was nothing but sunny and clear. Roaming about the city streets, visiting Fell’s Point, checking out the restaurants in Little Italy (and even seeing a street-corner opera performance!)--what a treat.

I have a great deal more to say about this event, but I shall wait until I’m sitting again at my own desk, and not trying to work from a hotel computer. For now, there’s more packing to be done.

MORE BOUCHERCON MEMORIES:Once Upon a Bouchercon,” by Gerald So (If You Want to Know About My Life ....); “The Blur of the Con,” “Post-Bouchercon Letdown,” and “More Bouchercon,” by Sandra Ruttan (On Life & Other Inconveniences); “A Fortuitous Meeting” and “Bouchercon Crime Fiction Festival 2008,” by R.J. Ellory (The Ellory Journal); “Washington, Baltimore, Movies, Books, and Music,” by Peter Robinson; “Back from Bouchercon,” by David J. Montgomery (Crime Fiction Dossier); “Bouchercon I: Drinks with Ice,” “Bouchercon III,” “Bouchercon IV: All the Schmooze That’s Fit to Print,” “Bouchercon V: One Too Many Mornings ...,” “The Big No-Sleep: Post-Bouchercon Miscellany, Part I,” and “Too Many Strangers on a Train: Post-Bouchercon Miscellany, Part II,” by Peter Rozovsky (Detectives Beyond Borders); “Bouchercon,” by Patti Abbott (Pattinase); “Bouchercon in Bullet Points,” by Sarah Weinman (Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind); “Bouchercon Wrap-up,” by Alexandra Sokoloff (Ghost Writer).

2 comments:

Ali Karim said...

Hi All,

It's Monday mid-day, I'm at the hotel computor; bags are packed and my mind echoes that melancholic feeling one has after spending a long weekend with people I call my friends. I feel priviliged to have attended one of the greatest Mystery Thriller Events ever staged - so I thought I'd spend a few minutes recollecting my thoughts and pointing a few of my personal highlights. You'll be reading more when I'm back home in England from The Rap Sheet, as well many, many Blogs and websites over the next few weeks. I have >1GB of photos of the event and the people that made it so magnificent - because it was MENTAL!

Forgive the name-dropping - but every one was there celebrating the genre thanks to the hard work and professional organisation by Ruth and Judy - with a huge team of helpers from RAM, 4-MA, Crimespree, Jon, Richard and Jen Jordan - they are the best people one could hope to call friends - A HUGE THANK YOU

So in particular order and please excuse my typos due to tiredness, and also due to time pressure this is just from the top of my head -

TRAVELING WITH ROGER [R.J.] JON ELLORY
The trip was made extra special by having Roger as my traveling companion, a writer of considerable power and merit, but a damned fine person. Though I've known Roger over 5 years since he was first published, this was the first time we spent a section of our lives together - and boy did we laugh and have such fun.

PANELS
They were excellent, even though my first one where I was moderator on 'Booze and Crime Fiction' was somewhat 'controversial', it turned out to be rather good fun and I must thank my panelists Con Lehane, Michelle Gagon, Jason Starr, Ken Bruen and Liz Zelvin. All those who thanked me for the panel, remember it was thanks to the Gordon's Gin talking. All panels were standing room only including the book reviewing panel that I spoke at. The funniest had to be the 'would I lie to you' with Mark Billingham, John Connolly, Karin Slaughter, Chris Mooney and Laura Lippman

DENNIS LEHANE
Dennis made a surprise visit and I finall got to thank him from his work including sHuTtEr iSlANd

LARRY AND LYNN BLOCK
Not only was I priviliged to have dinner with Larry Block with Steve Hamilton, R J Ellory, Linwood Barclay and Harlan Coben - but hearing him roar laughing over dinner, and him say 'Ali, I know you are the shy and reserved type', but also seeing the whole room give him a standing ovation at the closing ceremony

LAURA LIPPMAN AND DAVID SIMON
There welcome to their home town was incredible and Ms. Lippman is one the finest human beings I know, and seeing her win so many awards brought a tear to my eye [and hers].

FRIENDSHIP FROM THE UBER FANS AND REVIEWERS AND EDITORS
Seeing, talking and embracing Maggie Griffin, Jeff Peirce, George Easter, Larry Gandle, Linda Richards, Dave Montgomery, Oline Cogdill, Maddy, Sarah Weinman, Janet Rudolf, Donna Moore, RAM and 4-MA gang members - too many to name here - but hey I love you all

SHAMUS AWARDS
A superb event thanks to Christine and Bob Randisi - and allowed me to pay my respects to Edgar A Poe at his graveside.

PARTY, PARTY
The St Martins Party and the LEE CHILD party at Lucy's Irish Pub was just brilliant, thank you Lee and Hector at St Martins

AWARDS
All went by the numbers - I salute all the nominated as well as the winners - in fact anyone who attended in my opinion was a winner, but seeing George Easter get the Sandstrom made me feel wonderful

REED FARRELL COLEMAN
All I can say apart from him being a man I respect, as well as a decent human being, is one of the best writers I know - and when his eyes watered, so did mine when he took a Shamus Award - Moe Lives

CHARLES ARDAI
Meeting the publisher from Hard Case Crime for the first time was like discovering a long lost brother

SEAN CHERCOVER
Seeing him win the Shamus also made me cry when he won the award for best first novel

ARNAULDER INRIADSSON
This man is a genius in the field and finally over Gin and Tonics I managed despite being humbled in his presence to tell him how much his work - JAR CITY, VOICES, SILENCE OF THE GRAVE, ARTIC CHILL, THE DRAINING LAKE mean to me.

BOOKS
Hey I bought a few........and many people gave me books - checkin will be fun as will security as I always get stopped and asked "Sir, do you always travel with 120 crime novels in your luggage" - but when the rubber gloves come on, I wince.

STIEG LARSSON
His work was the talk of the event and seeing a huge display rack of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO at the entrance door at B+N Baltimore made me very happy

FINAL DINNER
With Linda Richards, Jeff and Jody Pierce, R J Ellory, Peter Roz...., Sandra Ruttan and her partner was a magnificent way to close the Baltimore experince.

Sorry but times up, plane to catch - more detail when I'm home, and

Finally a big thank you to all the people who put up with my excited ramblings but most of all a HUGE thank you to Ruth, Judy and all the people who made my stay in Baltimore so memorable

You are so special

Ali

Peter Rozovsky said...

...ovsky!

You helped make Bouchercon what it was, of course. This superb con was organized by the Jordans and helped along by the Gordon's. ==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/