Saturday, October 04, 2008

Gains and Losses

Ready or not, here comes another edition of Mike Ripley’s fine Shots column, “Getting Away with Murder.” On the docket this time: applause for 88-year-old (and still writing) Dick Francis; respectful pause over the recent demise of author James Crumley; puzzlement at repeated use of the phrase, “I haven’t got a Scooby”; and fingers crossed that Rennie Airth’s third John Madden novel, The Dead of Winter, will actually appear in May 2009, as scheduled.

Regarding Airth’s novel, Ripley remarks: “I have a particular interest in that I have estimated that round about May 2009, I am due to write my 1,000th review of a crime novel for the printed media, having begun my reviewing life on The Sunday Telegraph in 1989. I would be personally delighted if my 1,000th review turns out to be the new Rennie Airth.”

We hope your wish comes true, Mike.

No comments: