Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Smart Set

What is the well-dressed crime novelist wearing these days? Well, probably not the fancy duds in which Arena magazine has clad what it terms “six of the best thriller writers in Britain today.” But hey, when did magazine fashion spreads set out to be realistic? They are fantasy, pure and simple. And since these half-dozen authors--Charles Cumming, Tony Black, Nick Stone, and the rest--deal in fantasy every day, they are the ideal models for clothes that might normally be draped upon the likes of James Bond.

I don’t see this full feature from the October issue of Arena being available anywhere on the Web--at least not yet. But here are the fashion shots as they are posted on photographer Nick Turpin’s site. And here’s a slide show of what Turpin and his undoubtedly reluctant models went through to create the spreads.

Nice threads, guys. It’s only too bad you’re having to compete in this issue with Swedish supermodel Caroline Winberg. I suspect there might be fewer men’s magazine buyers looking at how you are dressed than at how she’s undressed.

(Hat tip to Tony Black.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those weren't our clothes. They were Saville Row's finest and we weren't allowed to keep them. My suit cost £3000, the shirt £175 and the great boots £250.

After the shoot was finished I dressed in my dirt cheap Primark duds and went home to my cupboard in North Peckham.

Nice to look rich for a month.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

I thought I'd made it clear in my post that those were not likely duds you would all have kept in your closets. I have known enough slovenly dressed novelists and journalists in my time to recognize what is reality and what is staged.

On the other hand, don't we all like to spruce up now and then?

Cheers,
Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hey Nick: The bastards! Don't they know when they tart us up, we should at least get to keep the duds ;-)