Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Art of the Matter

Given my interest in book jacket design, you know I’m looking forward to seeing the forthcoming documentary about famed paperback illustrator Robert McGinnis. Director-producer Paul Jilbert has a nice backgrounder on the film at CinemaRetro, which includes a few fine examples of McGinnis’ art. The documentary, which I am led to believe isn’t coming out in theaters, but will be released in DVD format, is scheduled to reach stores in July. Click here to watch a trailer for Robert McGinnis: Painting the Last Rose of Summer.

Since McGinnis himself forced the shutdown earlier this year of Graeme Flanagan’s exceptional tribute site to his work, I for one have been feeling deprived of McGinnis’ imagery. Sign me up for a copy of this film.

(Hat tip to Ed Gorman.)

No comments: