Wednesday, May 21, 2008

And the Beats Go On

With all of my editorial distractions of late, I never got around to mentioning the death earlier this month of screenwriter Zekial Marko, who wrote several paperback mystery and crime novels under the pseudonym “John Trinian.”

The best known of those books is probably Scratch a Thief (1961), which was adapted to the silver screen as Once a Thief (1965). But I hadn’t realized until today, after reading Steve Lewis’ fine backgrounder on this author in the Mystery*File blog, that Marko/Trinian was also responsible for a long-forgotten novel called North Beach Girl (1960). It was only a couple of months ago that I first happened across that intriguing title, during my research on a non-fiction book about San Francisco history. I’d never seen it before, but thought the cover (painted by Robert McGinnis) might be useful in illustrating my chapter about that city’s historically Italian and once-bohemian North Beach neighborhood. As Lewis notes, North Beach Girl is a “novel set in the San Francisco beat world of the Fifties.” Certainly a colorful time in the city’s history.

I haven’t yet been able to get my hands around a copy of North Beach Girl, but the provocative cover alone guarantees my interest.

RELATED:A Painter Leaves the Picture,” by J. Kingston Pierce
(The Rap Sheet).

4 comments:

Ed Gorman said...

Trinian wrote some good books. North Beach Girl has always struck me as one of the few "beat" crimes novels that wasn't just exploitative. The other is Malcolm Braly's Shake Him Till He Rattles. still availble from Stark House. Powerful novel a part of which was written in San Quentin. Crider-Reasoner-Gorman also recommend Trinian's Scandal On The Sand. A fascinating if odd novel that takes place in one sunny day at the beach.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Wow, those are excellent recommendations, Ed. I shall try to look them up. I haven't ever read Trinian's work, or Braly's. Obvious holes in my education.

Cheers,
Jeff

Benjamin said...

I actually came across a copy of this book for $1 whilst on tour through NSW, Australia (Or maybe the ACT by that point...the lines kinda blur) in a garage sale earlier this year.
Haven't sat down and started to read it yet but the cover really got to me. A great example of those 50's/60's Pulp-beat covers!
I was really suprised to find a reference to it online - its nice to know the story behind the author.
Thankyou

Benjamin said...

Oh, just came across this additional information if you are interested -

"North Beach Girl. Gold Medal s1000, 1960. Reprinted as Strange Lovers. Macfadden 60-301, 1967. [A novel set in the San Francisco beat world of the Fifties.]"