Monday, April 14, 2008

Through the Magic of the Airwaves

Uh-oh, I’ve gone and done it now. I agreed to be one of the guests on tomorrow night’s edition of Talking Television with Dave White, broadcast on “global radio station KSAV.org.” TV historian Ed Robertson promotes this show in his blog:
Television icon Bill Bixby, who graced the screens of millions of television households through his roles on The Courtship of Eddie’s Father, The Magician, The Incredible Hulk and other popular network shows throughout the 1970s and ’80s, will be the subject of the April 15 edition of Talking Television with Dave White on Share-a-Vision Radio, KSAV.org. Scheduled to join Frankie Montiforte and me are actor/musician Brandon Cruz, Bixby’s co-star on Eddie’s Father; Renee Tufo, who is leading a campaign to win posthumous induction for Bixby in the Television Academy Hall of Fame; and J. Kingston Pierce, senior editor of January Magazine, whose writings on Bixby include coverage of The Magician, the popular Bixby series credited for triggering the current wave of stage magicians such as David Copperfield, Criss Angel and Penn & Teller. Listeners are invited to participate in the program by calling (800) 407-KSAV or by e-mailing talk@ksav.org.

The 90-minute Webcast will be repeated on Thursday, April 17, beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET, 4:30 p.m. PT, also on KSAV.org, then subsequently available on demand via the archives pages at KSAV.org, as well as in podcast from via iTunes.
Although it’s not clear from this write-up, tomorrow night’s live edition of Talking Television with Dave White will begin at 10:30 p.m. ET, 7:30 p.m. PT. To hear the show, simply log on to KSAV.org and click the “Listen Live” button.

I’ve never been fond of appearing on TV or radio. I think I do my best work on the printed (or at least blogged) page. However, the Web site Go To Quiz apparently thinks I have the perfect voice for broadcasting. After reading about its “What American Accent Do You Have?” questionnaire in Bill Crider’s blog, I decided to take the test. Here are the results:


Seems this quiz isn’t foolproof. Although I lived for about a year in Detroit, Michigan, I’m actually from the Pacific Northwest, and now live in Seattle--which, the last time I checked a map, is nowhere near the great American “Midland.” (Then again, these results could reflect the linguistic influence of my father, who was born in St. Louis but moved to Atlanta when he was young.)

If you’d like to take this quiz yourself, just click here.

And should you feel like tuning in for tomorrow’s broadcast of Talking Television with Dave White (or listening to the show later via the KSAV archives), please forgive me for my inevitable blunders and random asides. It’s not every day, after all, that I appear on the same program with Brandon Cruz.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, it actually told me I am from Wisconsin or Chicago.... both true.

Anonymous said...

I got a solid red line. Now I can be a disc jockey!

Keith Raffel said...

Jeff, in re to Bill Bixby, you gotta mention My Favorite Martian!

Also I took the accent test which reported: "You may think you speak Standard English straight out of the dictionary but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like 'Are you from Wisconsin?' or 'Are you from Chicago?'" Lived in Chicago till I was eight. Not bad.