Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Man in the Bowler Hat

Raise a glass to English-born actor Patrick Macnee, who starred as cane-wielding secret agent John Steed in the series The Avengers and turns 86 years old today.

I’ve enjoyed Macnee’s performances in so many shows over the years, from Alias Smith and Jones and Columbo to the 1976 teleflick Sherlock Holmes in New York (in which he played Dr. John Watson to Roger Moore’s Holmes), and even a turn on Frasier. But until I looked him up in the Internet Movie Database, I never knew his résumé was quite so extensive. Bravo, sir.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed. It was a black day when his role in The Avengers was downgraded. I was fortunate to see him back in the early seventies at a small theater in the Poconos (PA) when he co-starred in a stage production of Sleuth.

Graham Powell said...

Hell, I thought he had died! Glad to hear he's still kicking.