Saturday, December 22, 2007

If a Tree Falls in the Forest of Blogs,
Does Anybody Care?

A lot is expected of the modern author.

It’s not enough to just write a book anymore. Not enough, even, to visit bookstores and make nice with the people who buy books and the people who sell them.

It is insufficient to develop a personal mailing list--and/or e-mail list--in order to send postcards or bookmarks or (in the case of e-mail) carefully crafted spam.

And having a Web site? That’s so basic, it should get listed with paper, pens, and steno pads. We’re way beyond that into social networking-- a la MySpace and FaceBook and Second Life.

The thing, though, that continues to be a debatable point in terms of an author supporting a book is blogging, in general, and guest-blogging in particular. That is to say, does blogging matter? Blogging can be fun. It can be cathartic. It can even be entertaining for both bloggers and bloggees. But is it valuable to the author? Does it help said author flog books? The jury is out. Is, in fact, likely to stay there. And, trust me: nothing I say here is likely to help.

Unlike, say, a book-signing, where you can see the results with your own eyes (if 56 people show up and buy 76 copies of the book, no one needs to tell you the evening was a big success), blogging is impossible to quantify. In the case of guest-blogging, we don’t even know how big the potential audience might be. (Is it 7,000? Or 70? Or three?) And even if your guesting takes place on a site usually popular with readers, do you have a message that will reach that particular audience? Are you going to say anything that will make them care?

More: a lot of the things authors are expected to do in order to support their books don’t demand much of them intellectually. At least, that’s been my experience. It’s fun to do bookstore visits. Sure: traveling can take it out of you, but to stand there while people ask you questions about a topic you know well--your book--is not really very hard.

To be effective as a blogger, however, you have to reach inside yourself. At least, that’s what I think. You have to go deep and scratch at things people care about. Those things are more difficult to write about than housing starts and the price of gas. They have a cost. It’s not one everyone is willing to pay.

And there’s a risk too, right? There’s a risk that if you dig too deep and look too far and share too much, there won’t be anything left. Because nothing--and I mean nothing--takes it out of you the way writing a novel does. It takes everything you’ve got. How can you write a book and still have enough juice left to blog?

I’m writing this just as my fourth novel is about to be published. The official publication date is January 8. At this stage in my career, I’m about as blogged up as a girl can be and still find head space to write anything at all. I contribute here at The Rap Sheet, as you know. And I edit January Magazine. But neither of those things demands a lot from my secret stash, most of the time. I’m a journalist, so I can write news items all day without breaking a sweat. You learn early on how to look at a story, pick up the salient bits, then string them together in a way that will help other people understand.

I have a personal blog, too. Though I sometimes go deep there, most of the time I do not. Because I’m working on a book almost all the time, my personal blog has come to be a repository for all the silliness I see in the world that I just want to share with whoever cares to listen. Or interesting tidbits I come across while doing research. Or silly or critical things that happen in my everyday life. As I’ve said there on more than one occasion: “This is my blog, so I get to say whatever I want.” As any marketing expert worth her salt will tell you, that is not the way to build a blog’s readership. For that, you pick a topic and then stick to it: you don’t deviate from the central plan. I’m not so good at that when it comes to my blog.

Now, with this new book out, another blogging possibility has presented itself. Something new to me, but possibly not to you: the guest blog. That’s where you gather all your thoughts and wisdom and take it on the road. The idea, I guess, is that by occupying a guest spot, you expose yourself to new readers. Readers who, presumably, will flock to buy your books when they get up close and personal with the contents of your skull. The pressure to be scintillating is extreme.

Beginning today, for instance, I’m guest blogging for a whole week--Christmas week, no less--at the newish St. Martin’s Minotaur blog, Moments in Crime. It’s a gig that would seem to demand deepish thought, but since it’s also Christmas week, I’m not quite sure what I’ll end up with. I’ll possibly have to talk about stuffing a turkey and accommodating the vegan guests expected at my table this year, because those are the things concerning me right now.

Oh dear. What have I done here? I intended this to be an interesting and perhaps informative post on the state of blogging as it is now. But it isn’t, is it? I mean, I could write that piece, but this isn’t it. Maybe I’ll write that piece next week. Maybe even next year. That too is in the nature of blogging, I think. Everything is important. Everything is now. But will anyone care? You tell me.

8 comments:

Sandra Ruttan said...

I think if authors are blogging to sell books, they're doing it for the wrong reason.

Now, before anyone beats me up over it, blogs have become like so many other promotional things authors feel pressured to do. We don't quantifiably know how effective anything is, really. People send out postcards. They take the five out of a hundred who said they bought the book, tell themselves for every one who acknowledged it there were at least 10 more who just went and bought the book, so we tell ourselves it was a good idea.

And really, we don't know.

For me, I toss junk mail at the post office because - shudder, gasp, horror of horrors - we don't have our mail delivered to the door here. So why carry junk mail home just to pay to recycle it from here? No, I toss. And there comes a point where it's all just more of the same.

And that's the same with blogging. Only difference is, on an average day there are 3 or 4 pieces of junk mail in the mailbox. On an average day literally hundreds, if not thousands, of author blogs are updated all over the internet.

I realize people might freak, seeing me liken blogs to junk mail, but there comes a point where you just don't have time for it all. And for every person you inspire to buy your book there's probably a person you've turned off. It isn't just the highly opinionated bloggers who toss out four letter words left, right and sideways - me - who do that. It's the ones who are boring. The ones who demonstrate no grasp of the English language. The ones who are impersonal.

I've thought about shutting down my blog a lot, because it's time consuming. But there's a committed group of people who love it, who hunt me down at conventions and tell me why they read it, even if they don't always agree. And when I'm down people e-mail... I feel a sense of commitment to the people who've stood behind me and supported me.

But if I viewed it strictly as marketing it wouldn't have any of the flavour that appeals to that loyal crowd. Would it have wider appeal? Maybe, but you know, there are a bazillion other blogs where they're talking about that stuff, and it would bore me to tears to be confined to writing with such a limited focus.

And the bottom line is, if anyone trips by my blog and decides they won't read me because they don't like my opinion on something, then they're just as likely to see me at a convention and draw the same conclusion. In reality, this is all part of the problem, of authors being under too much pressure to be all things to everyone and market ourselves as much as our books 100% of the time. It's nuts. I'm a person, and nobody pays me for my blogging or promotional time, so I'm going to do what works for me.

My 2 cents, anyways. Others are welcome to do whatever they want, 100%. Some things that work for one won't work for another. There aren't formulas, so people have to ask what they're comfortable with doing, and interested in doing, first, I think.

Linda L. Richards said...

I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation, Sandra. Or bits of it. And you make my point. That's why my blog is what it is: the place where stuff that falls out of my head goes. And it's actually useful to me: I refer to my blog quite often.

But blog as junk mail? That's a little silly. Junk mail is push, blogs are certainly pull. Blogs don't just come at you: you need to -- virtually -- get off the couch. Why would you throw away something you brought home?

David J. Montgomery said...

Blogging is nearly always a colossal waste of time. I've been doing it for over 4 years, so I should know. There are maybe 10 people on the face of the earth who actually bought a book because of a blog. And I'm not one of them.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Well, I don't mean it's the same as junk mail in terms of the way it's transmitted... but I think it ends up having a similar effect. Some days, I go to CrimeSpot and almost everything looks like something I've read a spin on a few times already. I guess that's more what I mean. It becomes a recyclable. The only flyers I bring home are ones that have something dramatically different that I think I might want to take a few minutes, at least, to look over.

So, I tend to drop by blogs like yours when I have the time, more to catch up with you, and I really like that aspect of your blog. The blogs I read tend to be ones written by friends and it's a way of hearing the latest. Or ones sporting the latest controversy, I suppose, because everyone enjoys the odd bit of mudslinging.

David, I have had people tell me they bought my first book because of my blog. Half a dozen have e-mailed and said that, all people I don't know. But I lean in your direction that they don't move a lot of books, with the notable exception of industry blogs that have a large readership. We also have to bear in mind many of the people reading those industry blogs are actually in the industry, so you can't look at a straight relationship between reader numbers and sales either. All three of us here frequently receive ARCs, which then become books we don't buy, and if those happen to be the books being talked about the blogs can't translate into sales for us.

And of all types of blogs, I think the jury is definitely out on publisher blogs. They do seem to be the new thing, and I wonder how the writers compare those blogs to their personal blogs in terms of effectiveness. Probably far too soon to even begin speculating, as I can only think offhand of the Midnight Ink and St. Martin's blogs. I'll probably think of at least another after I hit publish...

Anonymous said...

As just a reader, I will mention that blogs have their pluses and minuses. It is nice to get to know the writer through them and interesting to see what they are reading or who they have rubbed elbows with, etc. The minus is that sometimes if I get to know too much about an author that reflects negatively on them then I'm totally turned off by reading their books. The blog is usually an extension of their presence as a author, an public entertainer, therefore I will expect to see some BSP. I don't want to see anything political or anything with an agenda other than promoting their identity as an author selling their works.
As a side note, I love author websites and even more when there are excerpts from their books which gives me an opportunity to glean if I'd like to read more.

PK the Bookeemonster

Linda L. Richards said...

Bookeemonster (!!) makes a great point, in that we can expect to get to know a person via their blog. Does that mean we'll like them, once we know them better up close and personal? Not necessarily. But that's the risk as well, I guess. If you read my blog for a month or two, you will know me better. Is that a good thing? You decide.

Unknown said...

On the flip-side of what I wrote earlier... I should mention that I HAVE skipped books because of an author's blog. And I've been told by a lot of people the same thing.

So I think the best thing you can say about it is that it's a mixed bag. (In addition to being a huge sinkhole for time.)

Linda L. Richards said...

OK: a sinkhole for time. A mixed bag. But fun, yes? David, it looks to me like you have fun on your blog. And Sandra, hell: I know you have on yours. And there's something to be said for fun, right guys?