Friday, December 28, 2007

Give It a Hand

We’ve barely finished with our Best of 2007 lists, and already I’m thinking about what might make the Best of 2008. I started thinking that way when I opened a package today and the U.S. edition of Minette Walters’ latest novel tumbled into my hands. It was so beautiful, I gasped.

I have not yet read The Chameleon’s Shadow, but if I’m to judge the book by its striking chartreuse cover--far shinier and more elegant than the reproduction here can indicate--I’d judge it gorgeous.

In the UK, the book was published by Macmillan back in September and the cover was attractive. A piece of crumbling statuary is superimposed over a pair of striking male eyes. (Or perhaps it’s the other way around?) Either way, it’s a cover that makes you look. But publisher Alfred A. Knopf’s edition, which will reach bookstores early in January, takes my breath away. I’m hoping Walters’ prose does, as well.

2 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

Steig Larsson's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" which I read over Christmas, is a great read and the cover is beautiful, too.

I am looking forward avidly to Asa Larsson's (no relation I assume, although also Swedish) next after loving Sun Storm last year.

Linda L. Richards said...

We've been talking about that one around here too. I'm not good at putting URLs in comments, but if you scroll down a bit, you'll see Ali Karim's super enthusiastic take on the book.