Thursday, November 29, 2007

Where It All Begins

My first exposure to writing about the world of crime fiction came in 1999 when my Mystery News column, “In the Beginning,” appeared with a profile of novelist Edie Claire. The “evil twins” of Mystery News, Chris Aldrich and Lynn Kaczmarek, were longtime CompuServe Mystery Forum friends, and shortly after they purchased Mystery News, they convinced me to try my hand at writing something for their bimonthly publication. The result was “In the Beginning,” born of the conviction that new writers could use a boost-up, a megaphone, a trumpeting of their arrival on the crime-fiction scene. Older, established writers had publicity departments and backlists to help promote their work. We were determined to help level the playing field--at least six times a year.

What a ride it’s been. Sure, there have been some one-trick ponies, people whose first novels turned out to be their one and only novels. But, to my continual joy, most of the writers I’ve profiled over the years have gone on to interesting and varied careers. Many novelists who have been discussed in The Rap Sheet were once subjects of “In the Beginning,” including fellow blog contributor Jim Winter and our current guest blogger, Mark Coggins. Through my work on that column, I’ve gained a greater appreciation for the traditional mystery from Marcia Talley and of the historical crime yarn from Tasha Alexander. Scott Phillips was kind enough to talk to me when The Ice Harvest was first published (and before it became a film), and there’s no nicer guy than Chasing the Devils Tail author David Fulmer. Al Guthrie, Ray Banks, Con Lehane, Libby Fischer Hellmann, and Edgar-winner Naomi Hirahara have all been part of the “In the Beginning” first-hit parade.

Now my eyes turn toward 2008, and that’s where you come in. If you, or someone you know (represent, edit, etc.) will be publishing a debut mystery novel in 2008, I want to hear from you. I’m always prospecting for victims … I mean, subjects ... for my profiles. But, I do have some guidelines to keep in mind:

I’m looking to interview authors with full-length works of fiction only, please. My column does not focus on short stories, non-fiction, or young adult works. Those are all worthy endeavors, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

The work they’re publishing must be their debut book, and it must be making its first appearance in the United States in 2008.

All sub-genres are welcome.

Authors from independent presses are welcome, and even encouraged to contact me. Most of the big New York publishers already have me on their radar screens; most of the smaller houses do not, sad to say.

Please contact me via e-mail, and not through the Comments section of The Rap Sheet. All suggestions will be given equal consideration.

No comments: