Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ahoy, Me Hearties!

I know, I know: You thought that at least somebody in the blogosphere would have the good taste to refrain from observing that September 19 is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. But sorry, matey, it’s not going to be me.

According to Wikipedia, a couple of scurvy friends, John Baur and Mark Summers, declared the first Talk Like a Pirate Day way back in 1995. A few years later, this pseudo-holiday drew the attention of syndicated humor columnist Dave Barry, and it has since been promoted worldwide. Much to the regret, I’m sure, of English teachers and humorless maritime historians.

If you need to polish up your piratical parlance, or perhaps find a couple of over-the-top pick-up lines to try out on this occasion (“Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?”), click right here. And sometime Rap Sheet contributor Jim Winter directs us over to Captain Dan’s Web site for a bit of ... well, pirate rap. Grab your grog and listen in.

READ MORE:ARRsome Pirates in Film,” by Monika Bartyzel (Cinematical).

1 comment:

Peter Rozovsky said...

I'll tie ye to the yard arm, ye scurvy dog!

No, wait. I'll keel haul ye instead.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/