Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Virtual Axe

I’m in the UK. My book’s just come out in the United States. Not much chance to do bookshop appearances and readings. But not to worry. These days, we have the Internet. So I can do a virtual reading, post it on the Web and then invite people from all around the world to see it. Maybe even people in Italy, where I believe Gentle Axe has just been, or is soon to be, released as Il Giudice Porfirij.

So with the help of my friend Clive, who was both set designer and director for our little shoot, I recorded a reading, which I am making available through MySpace. I believe these things are sometimes called podcasts, or maybe that’s something else entirely. Hey, I’m a historical novelist. You wouldn’t expect me to understand all this stuff, right?

The section I’ve chosen to read is from the first chapter, “In Petrovsky Park.” An old woman, a former prostitute, is gathering firewood in the falling snow of St. Petersburg. She comes across the body of a burly peasant hanging from a tree.
The birch trunk that bore him was bent like an archer’s bow. A sudden howl of wind set the tree vibrating. A flurry of snowflakes danced as though magnetised. The hanging man spun round.

On the ground near his feet she saw something brown half buried in the snow.
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll continue.


No comments: