Thursday, March 01, 2007

And Playing the Cone of Silence Will Be ...

Prospects are looking up just a bit further for the forthcoming movie version of that beloved old TV series Get Smart. Not being a Steve Carrell fan, I was concerned when he signed on to portray Maxwell Smart (the role originated by Don Adams, But things started to look up when the curvaceous Anne Hathaway accepted the part of Agent 99. And now, coming off his recent Oscar win (for his supporting role in Little Miss Sunshine), veteran actor Alan Arkin has agreed to play “The Chief” (a role that’s still synonymous with Edward Platt), Smart’s superior at the super-secret agency CONTROL. Maybe I’ll go see Get Smart, after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It might also be fun to note that "The Rock" has been cast in the film as well. I have it on good authority that he will be playing Hymie, everyone's favorite robot (played in the series by the brilliant Dick Gautier).

Keith

Rob Brooks said...

I love the casting already. I loved the TV--I watched it 2x a night on Nick at Night. I like Steve Carrell, but even if I didn't, I think he'd make a good Maxwell Smart.

Anonymous said...

The Carrell choice is wise. I haven't seen any television or film acting work he has done but saw him in interview sets. He seems to be someone who could be a dazed super spy ala Don Adams. It would seem Hathaway a bit young to be 99, but given her maturity to be 10 times greater than most other actresses in her genre I feel she's a great choice. Arkin is a terrific choice for Platt's role.

By the way, 'Get Smart' fans who haven't read any of the novels written by William Johnson should seek them out for quite a treat.