Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Corpse Shall Rise Again

Tommy Lee Jones playing Louisiana detective Dave Robicheaux in an upcoming big-screen adaptation of James Lee Burke’s 1993 novel, In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead? That’s the word from ComingSoon.net.

Let me lay my cards out early: I like Jones for this role. I always thought he deserved another crack at playing a sleuth, after his fine turn in the 1988 teleflick Gotham (which co-starred a particularly lovely Virginia Madsen). And I suspect he’ll help us to forget Alec Baldwin’s less-than-engaging interpretation of Robicheaux, in Heaven’s Prisoners (1996).

2 comments:

Mike Stotter said...

I have got to agree with you there, Jeff. The choice of Jones for Robicheaux is spot on. We never got Gotham here in the UK (as far as I can remember), so I can't make any comment on that. I just hope that he doesn't waltz through the character.

I wonder what the screenplay written by Jerzy Kromolowski will be like?

MysterLynch said...

I also think that Jones will do a great job.

The only thing I have seen by director Bertrand Tavernier is Round Midnight. I thought it was a fine movie with emotion and style.

It should be interesting to see how this comes out.

P.S. I actually thought that Baldwin did a solid job.