Thursday, December 21, 2006

What’s Your Favorite Indy?

Following up on Jeff Pierce’s eloquent salute to Murder Ink (see below)--a place that holds many memories for an old New Yorker like me as well--I thought it might be a good time to enrich our support of independent crime book stores by listing our own favorites.

Mine is Mysteries to Die For in nearby Thousand Oaks, California--run by some very smart women, visited often by area writers such as Terrill Lee Lankford and Lee Goldberg, and the scene of some of the liveliest readings and Q&A sessions I’ve ever attended.

What’s yours?

8 comments:

John McFetridge said...

Sleuth of Baker Street on Bayview in Toronto.

Stephen Miller said...

The Black Orchid in NYC

Anonymous said...

for anyone in the UK, must be Murder One, the first and still the best we've had. Uncompatable choice of books, knowledgeable staff and all that.... All attempts to establish another mystery shop in London have failed, as their service is so good.

Anonymous said...

Murder by the Book in Houston is one of the oldest and best, and of course it's the one I frequent.

Anonymous said...

Poisoned Pen in Phoenix, Arizona. I have found so many wonderful books by unknown (to me, anyway) authors through their recommendations that I would never have encountered any other way.

Anonymous said...

My personal favorites are the Black Orchid in New York (currently my home bookstore) and San Francisco Mystery Books (my previous home bookstore)...although frankly, I love all the independent mystery bookstores!

Chris Aldrich

Ali Karim said...

From Europe :-

LONDON : MURDERONE
DUBLIN : MURDER INK
STOCKHOLM : HEDIGRENS

Ali
http://www.shotsmag.co.uk/Criminal%20Conversations%20in%20Dublin.htm#top

Anonymous said...

Book'em Mysteries in South Pasadena, CA.