Sunday, November 26, 2006

Good Ideas Get Around

Authors often find themselves unintentionally writing about the same subject, even though their topic might have seemed pretty obscure at the time they began. Another such coincidence is found now in the penning of stories based on the mysterious 1949 disappearance of aspiring Hollywood actress Jean Spangler (pictured below). As The Rap Sheet has noted before (see here and here), New York novelist Megan Abbott, the author of 2005’s Die a Little, is due out in January with The Song Is You, a pulpish and atmospheric fictionalization of the Spangler case that made my list of the winter books I most look forward to reading.

Earlier today, however, Los Angeles journalist-novelist Denise Hamilton (Prisoner of Memory, Savage Garden) wrote to tell me that she was “surprised to learn” about Abbott’s forthcoming book, “because I thought I was the only author who had stumbled across Jean’s tragic life and seized upon it as a haunting topic for a noir crime novel.” In that e-mail note, Hamilton goes on to remark:
Perhaps the more intriguing issue, however, is not why two crime authors have recently discovered Jean Spangler but why the story about her disappearance, two years after the Black Dahlia [murder], has languished in obscurity for so long when it has all the elements of a spellbinding novel.

Consider the characters and their relationships: Pretty starlet, violent ex-husband fighting a custody battle for their only child, known association with gangsters who also disappeared, references to a mysterious “Kirk” when Jean had filmed a movie with
Kirk Douglas, lack of a body but discovery of a broken purse with a cryptic note found inside.

Set these characters in play against 1949 Hollywood--which featured gangster shoot-outs on the Sunset Strip, the mob war between
Mickey Cohen and Jack Dragna for control of L.A.’s turf, crooked cops (both the LAPD chief and his deputy
were indicted that summer) the decline of the studio star system, the dawn of television, the post-WWII recession, the
Hollywood Blacklist, the Cold War, the rise of lurid tabloids like Confidential, the incipient conservatism of the 1950s after women left the wartime factories and returned to the home, high-stakes homophobia in Hollywood, the rise of suburbia, the Golden Era of movie special effects--and you’ve got a fantastic canvass to paint on.

My first five novels are set in a noir-accented but very contemporary and multicultural Los Angeles. When [publisher] Scribner approached me in 2005 about writing my first standalone, we discussed my fascination with L.A. and what a noir place I think it is--as much today as during the glory noir years.

But that got me thinking. Authors like James M. Cain, Nathanael West, Ross Macdonald, Raymond Chandler, Walter Mosley, Dashiell Hammett, Dorothy B. Hughes and Chester Himes have been touchstones for me. So I thought I’d go back to the source, the era they wrote about, just sift through the sand and see what I came up with. On top of that, I’m an L.A. native and a former L.A.
Times reporter. The city’s iconography runs through my veins (ouch!) and I see L.A. as a character in its own right. I was especially intrigued by the idea that Hollywood was a small town 50 years ago and movie stars were part of the landscape. You’d see them buying toothpaste at the drugstore, memorizing their scripts at the coffee shop. You could sit in on Steve Allen’s midnight radio show, watch Frank Sinatra record. The access was amazing.

Thanks to a story by L.A.
Times staff writer Cecilia Rasmussen, who writes the great “L.A Then and Now” column, I came across Jean’s story and was immediately entranced. I was also shocked that no one had written about her before.

But maybe it’s the O.J. syndrome. More than a dozen women in Los Angeles were killed by domestic violence during the years that Simpson’s trials dragged on. But you only ever read about Nicole. Finally one day, the
Times ran a round-up story about some of the others. I think that the Black Dahlia case loomed so large on people’s minds for so many decades that it obscured many of the era’s other tragic crimes. It was almost like there was only room for one such tragedy in the public consciousness, and Elizabeth Short’s mythology had already claimed the turf.

Then of course, Spangler’s body was never found, dangling the seductive possibility that she wasn’t dead after all, but had absconded to Mexico or New York, perhaps with “Little Davy” Ogul and Frank Niccoli, Mickey Cohen’s associates who also disappeared that fall. Jean had been seen partying in Palm Springs with these gangsters shortly before she disappeared. Had she fallen afoul of a gang war? Was it her violent ex-husband? Or was it more complicated?

Oddly enough, both Megan and I are published by the same umbrella house--she’s at Simon & Schuster and I’m at Scribner, which is owned by S&S. (We were also both Edgar finalists for our first books.) But my editor at Scribner didn’t know about Megan’s book until I e-mailed her after reading your column. And I doubt very much that Megan’s editor knew about my book. I don’t submit an outline or a plot synopsis when I sign a new publishing contract, my editor and I just have an informal chat.

But I do think that our converging novels are an example of the Zeitgeist at work. The adaptation of the James Ellroy [novel]
The Black Dahlia also came out this fall, as did Hollywoodland, another noiry period movie. Those films aspired to the greatness of the movie L.A. Confidential, based on another Ellroy novel, but didn’t quite succeed. Perhaps that’s because writers of all stripes need to infuse this familiar 1940s world with fresh, ahem, blood if they intend to captivate new audiences. We want prose that is both new/different AND projects the reassuringly familiar miasma of that smoky boozy shadowy world.

That’s why I say that my 1949 novel--which doesn’t yet have a title--is “inspired” by Jean Spangler’s life. Jean’s story ended inconclusively, never a satisfying finale for a crime novel. As I explored the themes of her life, I wanted to find out who did it and why, and how that played out against that pivotal time in L.A. history. So my novel’s got a body and plenty of motives. Perhaps you might call it “Expressionist” as opposed to “Impressionist” in tone. My starlet is from the Midwest but she’s never been married and doesn’t have a child. She lives in a Hollywood boarding house for aspiring young actresses--a common practice at the time--which allows me to give her a supporting cast (sometimes friendly, sometimes jealous and competitive), plus an enigmatic landlady.

The sleuth I’ve created is a young woman with an OSS [
Office of Strategic Services] wartime background who returns to her hometown of Los Angeles to look into the actress’ disappearance at the request of the missing girl’s mother. She moves into the boarding house and becomes embroiled in the dead girl’s life, especially her connections to Hollywood. But so much has been written about the Dream Factory that I also knew I had to approach it from an oblique angle. So I created a special-effects wizard inspired by Ray Harryhausen, who with his mentor Willis O’Brien pioneered stop-motion animation. Harryhausen is 86 now and I had the privilege of meeting him and talking to him about what the special-effects world was like in 1949, the year Mighty Joe Young came out. (He did 90% of the animation on MJY; O’Brien had animated King Kong). This was wonderful background and local color to weave into a book. Through him, I’ve been able to tell the history of Hollywood special effects long before Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas made it hip and trendy. My guy’s a hardcore geek, shunned by starlets, but bearing a torch for the missing actress. We’re behind the scenes a lot, which is a place I like to be.

Jean Spangler was the embodiment, the crystallization of so many things that I find fascinating about L.A. at the time--and her very desires and dreams made her vulnerable. She yearned to be an independent modern young woman during a time when society was lurching back toward more traditional roles. She wanted fame badly and was hustling to get there, even though she knew how tough the odds were. And she disappeared into thin air, creating the perfect template. But behind the newspaper headlines there was also a real flesh-and-blood girl and that’s what I think haunts me most. As authors, we like to ask “what if?” We imagine ourselves in people’s shoes, set a train of events into motion and see what happens. I wanted to explore Jean’s story, set against the transitory and yet pivotal year of 1949 in L.A.’s history.

I’ll be turning in my novel at the end of December 2006, so it certainly won’t be jostling the bookshelves at the same time as Megan’s book. Besides, I’m sure they’ll be very different takes on a 53-year-old, mostly forgotten crime. But young women still disappear in L.A. Which makes it both an archetypal and a cautionary tale. Sometimes time changes nothing.
I, for one, look forward to reading both Abbott’s The Song Is You and Hamilton’s novel, whenever it’s released.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy guacamole, Batman!
Having a great deal of respect for Denise Hamilton's storytelling powers, and possibly even more respect (being of a certain age) for her reporting powers, and her spot-on summation of the historical and cultural issues in play at the time, I can't WAIT for this book! Would someone PLEASE tell me the title! And THEN tell her publisher to get this book in the hands of every male and female reader between the ages of 15 and 55 in this country who ever took a history course! This may well be crime fiction writ large. And kudos to Ms. Hamilton for taking a risk!