Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Choices, Choices

I’m starting to put together my top-10 list of mysteries and thrillers published in the United States this year, and as a new member of this ace blogging team I thought I’d ask for help and comments.

Here’s my list so far--too long, and in no particular order:

• The Last Spymaster, by Gayle Lynds (St. Martin’s Press)
• A Corpse in the Koryo, by James Church (Thomas Dunne/St. Martin’s Minotaur)
• Gentlemen & Players, by Joanne Harris (William Morrow)
• Memory Book, by Howard Engel (Carroll & Graf)
Sorrow’s Anthem, by Michael Koryta (Thomas Dunne/St. Martin's Minotaur)
• The Fallen, by T. Jefferson Parker (William Morrow)
• Red Sky Lament, by Edward Wright (Orion)
• Islandbridge, by John Brady (McArthur & Co.)
• Play to the End, Robert Goddard (Delta)
• The Foreign Correspondent, by Alan Furst (Random House)
• Carte Blanche, by Carlo Lucarelli; translated by Michael Reynolds (Europa)
Winter’s Bone, by Daniel Woodrell (Little, Brown)
• Messenger of Truth, by Jacqueline Winspear (Holt)
• Liberation Movements, by Olen Steinhauer (St. Martin’s Minotaur)
• The Boy Detective Fails, by Joe Meno (Punk Planet/Akashic)
• Death of a Writer, by Michael Collins (Bloomsbury)
• The One from the Other, by Philip Kerr (Miriam Wood/Putnam)

What have I missed?

1 comment:

J. Kingston Pierce said...

I think both CRITIQUE OF CRIMINAL REASON, by Michael Gregorio, and THE PALE BLUE EYE, by Louis Bayard, deserve to be in the running for top books of the year, as well. And I second Bill Peschel's nomination of THE HIDDEN ASSASSINS.