Saturday, May 06, 2023

PaperBack: “The Blank Wall”

Part of a series honoring the late author and blogger Bill Crider.



The Blank Wall, by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding (Pocket, 1950). I confess, I hadn’t read Holding’s work until recently, when I picked up a paperback volume containing both this novel (originally published in 1947) and The Innocent Mrs. Duff (from 1946). Quite a pair! I devoured those noirish yarns back to back, enjoying both. They’ve made me want to track down more from Holding, who was hailed by none other than Raymond Chandler as “the top suspense writer of them all.” Next up: The Death Wish (1934).

Cover illustration by Harvey Kidder.


READ MORE:Ashes in the Aspic: Elisabeth Sanxay Holding’s Life and Short Crime Fiction,” by Curtis Evans (CrimeReads).

1 comment:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Two of my favorites from that era.