Wednesday, February 01, 2023

Of Things Past

While looking through editor Kevin Burton Smith’s recent additions to The Thrilling Detective Web Site, I noticed something I had not spotted before, even though it has apparently been offered since at least 2018: “This Day in P.I. History,” a list of significant events from the lengthy heritage of private-eye fiction. Today’s entries, for instance, read:
• Allan J. Pinkerton signs this contract between the Illinois Central Railroad and the Pinkerton’s Detective Agency, Pinkerton & Company, agreeing to establish a “Police Agency” in Chicago to assist the Railroad in the “prompt and efficient performance of their business,” on this date in 1855.

• On this day in 1929, Dashiell Hammett’s first novel,
Red Harvest, featuring the Continental Op, was published by Alfred A. Knopf, following a four-part run in Black Mask in 1927 and 1928.
I look forward to re-checking “This Day in History” regularly, to see what’s new—or, rather, what’s old news—regarding this genre.

1 comment:

HonoluLou said...

I once receive 6 Pinkerton Detective coat buttons as a gift. They were brass fronted with copper backing and inscribed in a circular fashion, top and bottom, with "Pinkerton Detective" or "Pinkerton Railroad"...can't recall.

I was transferring to be Postmaster at Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines and didn't want to chance them getting lost (or stolen) in my household goods shipment. So I mailed them Registered mail.

Then, Mount Pinatubo erupted and buried them under 3 feet of muck and ashes. A year later I got my household good shipment, but never those boxes.