Saturday, May 22, 2021

The Fifteen Years Later Affair

Sometimes I wish I’d been more modest in my expectations for The Rap Sheet—which celebrates its 15th birthday today. I could have created this blog as a place to occasionally share random thoughts on crime, mystery, and thriller fiction, both new and vintage. At the least I could have been in the habit of posting less ardently. Instead, after having spent many years editing magazines and newspapers, I envisioned The Rap Sheet as a frequently updated resource to which fans of this genre could turn to find news, information, and commentary. I essentially wanted it to be CrimeReads, only without anywhere near the manpower or financial backing that that more youthful site claims. And when I have to take a hiatus of a week or two in order to finish a project for another publication? Well, visitors start to wonder at my absence. “Did this fuckin’ guy die?” an anonymous reader inquired after I’d let 13 days pass recently between posts.

None of this is to say that I’m unhappy about how The Rap Sheet has turned out. Quite the contrary, in fact. It has been a wonderful experience getting to know the magnitude of works in this genre, and to meet plenty of the writers who have provided that remarkable breadth. This blog has given me entrée into corners of the literary world that I would not otherwise have enjoyed, and led me into some invaluable friendships.

That The Rap Sheet has brought me more than a few frustrations is likewise true. I cringe every time I discover a broken link within an older post, and try my best to update those connections (often using the Wayback Machine). Last year’s sudden disappearance of most of the blog’s embedded videos almost convinced me to give up this enterprise completely. And the news in May that The Thrilling Detective Web Site had switched servers, and as a consequence hundreds (if not thousands) of links in this blog were now inoperable struck me as the even crueler part of a double whammy. (The only thing worse would have been for Wikipedia to go out of business!) Nonetheless, I persevered. While I still have various videos awaiting my attention, most have been replaced; and I remain hopeful that creator/editor Kevin Burton Smith will find a clever way to redirect The Thrilling Detective’s links, so I don’t need to change all of their Web addresses—a likely impossible task.

As I sit to compose this post, I think back on my launching The Rap Sheet in May 2006. I was then incredibly naïve in the business of blogging, but I imagined it as a way to share my curiosity about—and my knowledge of—crime and mystery fiction with readers. My wish was that their interest would push me to further investigation of the field. That’s certainly the way things have worked out. So maybe my ambitions weren’t ridiculous after all.

Thank you for your continuing support of this page.

24 comments:

J. Kingston Pierce said...

By the way, the title of this post has been borrowed from a much older but decidedly appropriate source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_Man_from_U.N.C.L.E.

Patrick Murtha said...

A very hearty congratulations. Persistence is everything in this life!

Rick Robinson said...

You’re welcome. I look in every day to see what’s new, have done so for years now. Thanks for all your time and hard work!

Jerry House said...

I've followed The Rap sheet from the beginning. It never gets old, although we may do. Congratulations!

Gabe said...

Congrats on the milestone! Here's to many more.

Scott said...

Congrats

Fiona L. Woods said...

Kudos and a pat on the back to you! Fifteen years is quite an accomplishment considering all the other blogs that have come and gone during that time.

Scott D. Parker said...

Yours was one of the first mystery blogs I discovered when I got online and started my education into the genre. So thanks for all the work you put in over the years and here’s to many more.

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

Good to know you've been able to clear up the issues with lost links and videos. You must have kept quite consistent in blogging over the years to have someone make such a comment after you didn't post for a couple of weeks. I've gone in streaks with blogging over the past decade but never kept to a predictable routine. Best laid plans and all . . .

HonoluLou said...

J.K.P. CONGRATULATIONS! Fifteen years of unselfish sharing and caring for mystery fans, bloggers and others. I know my own blog, as well as others I'm sure, would not be as successful without your support. For all you do for all of us, "Thank you so much."

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

A Happy 15th Birthday to my favourite crime fiction blog.

Craig said...

Happy b-day, Mr. P! Keep up the good work!

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Big time thank you for being here. Congrats on the anniversary.

Sean Day said...

Congrats! I love this blog.

Bob said...

Your website is a daily affair at our house. Many thanks.

E. Ellis said...

After reading through many crime fiction blogs over the past five or so years, I have found there are some really, really good ones out there that I come back to each day. The Rap Sheet is one of those (as is Col's, Unlawful Acts, and Hardboiled Wonderland and some others). For what it is worth, through the constant slog, I think creators of sites like this often times don't realize how good their creations really are (and how so many readers grow to rely upon it).

I can only imagine the amount of work you put into this site and rest assured, your work is greatly appreciated.




Anonymous said...

Thank you and Congrats, have enjoyed your posts for many readds and have read many suggestions over the years, again thanks

Lesa said...

Congratulations, and thank you for all the time and hard work you put into making The Rap Sheet the invaluable site that it is.

TracyK said...

I have been visiting this site for many years and have found that it provides very valuable information on authors. And your author interviews are extensive and fun to read. I could go on and on. Hard to believe it has been 15 years. I appreciate all the hard work you put into it. Congratulations.

Max Allan Collins said...

You are in my estimation the top blog/website/whatever for mystery fiction. Please keep at it. Required reading with every post.

Gary said...

Thanks for your work. I always enjoy reading The Rap Sheet.

George Easter said...

You are the gold standard mystery blog. I aspire to your greatness but will always fall short. Keep the posts coming. Congratulations on 15 years.

Elizabeth Foxwell said...

Congrats, Jeff, and many thanks for your hard work on The Rap Sheet.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Thank you, everyone, for your congratulations and encouragement. I shall go back and re-read these comments the next time I'm feeling as if what I write here has no valuable impact.

Cheers,
Jeff