Monday, May 09, 2011

Losing This One Is Hard

More sad news on the independent book-selling front: the San Francisco Mystery Book Store, in the city’s Noe Valley neighborhood, will close at the end of May after more than 30 years in business. Owner Diane Kudisch’s statement on the closure can be found here.

The San Francisco Mystery Book Store was one of the first such operations I ever visited, back in the 1980s, when Bruce Taylor was still the proprietor. I remember that I purchased copies of novels by local boys Bill Pronzini and Collin Wilcox during that trip, as well as a replica of the famous Maltese Falcon--which still rests on one of my office shelves. I’ve been back a couple of times since, though I missed visiting during Bouchercon 2010.

This business’ closure leaves San Francisco a slightly poorer place.

No comments: