Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Take a Gander

Three years into editor J. Kingston Pierce’s delicious rampage against the design powers that would have us reading books with unoriginal covers, you’d think things would be getting better. Both January Magazine and The Rap Sheet boast large readerships and, thus, Pierce’s voice is fairly influential in the book biz. When he says stuff, people tend to pay attention. And were we starting to see more original cover art? Maybe. More frequent commissions of original illustrations? More daring typography? I thought so. At least, I believed that things were getting better.

But then, within just a few weeks of each other, new books by Jeff Abbott and Peter Leonard (you know, Elmore’s son) crossed my desk. That’s when I knew that things weren’t getting better. At all. Or maybe--just maybe, understand--the covers of these books (both published during the first half of 2009) offer a strong case for the collective unconscious. What else could explain the almost eerie similarities between just about every single element of their respective dust jackets? And their titles? They’re the same!

Abbott’s Trust Me is from Dutton, while Leonard’s novel is published by Minotaur Books. Both feature the words--Trust Me--in prominent sans serif type, all uppercase, on the top halves of their covers. In both cases, the words have been filled with an image. (Money for Leonard’s book; something wood- or skin-like for Abbott’s.) Then we come to the disembodied eyes--different eyes, sure, but both sets probably female--looking directly into the camera ... and following us from the page. Then there are the authors’ names: both positioned on the lower half of these covers. Both, again, in uppercase sans serif. And all of these components--the eyes without faces, the bold type, filled and unfilled--float against dark backgrounds on the two jackets.

Design is a subjective art. And the success of any single design? Well, that’s subjective, too. But neither of these book covers works particularly well for me. I can’t imagine either of them leaping off the shelf. Especially since, in a lot of bookstores, these two would be shelved fairly closely together. I can visualize a potential buyer’s head swiveling, from one to the other, then walking a bit further up the aisle and putting his or her hands instead on a copy of Paul Tremblay’s The Little Sleep (Holt), which is arguably one of the strongest crime-fiction covers to wrap a book this year--and, coincidentally, also features a disembodied eye.

Upshot: the two versions of Trust Me were produced so closely together, timewise, that I want to be sure you don’t think I’m implying a deliberate copycat element. It doesn’t seem possible, or even very likely. Although one could certainly argue that a bit more research by one publishing house or the other might have been beneficial, these things happen under deadline. Trust me. It’s unavoidable.

7 comments:

Evie said...

Not that it makes either cover more original, but the eyes on the Abbott book look decidedly male to me.

Julia Buckley said...

Interesting! The copycat cover phenomenon is rather intriguing. I wouldn't be thrilled if I were either of those authors.

Linda L. Richards said...

You know Evie, looking at them here onscreen, I would agree. But with the hardcover on my desk staring up at me? The eyes looked feminine. Odd.

Vicki Delany said...

There is something about creepy eyes that publishers like. I had to fight to get the creepy eyes taken off the cover of my upcoming Winter of Secrets. Glad to say, I won!

Rick Blechta said...

Well, Linda, I can't agree that The Little Sleep is that a good cover. Speaking with my graphic arts hat on here, the type has been compressed into too small a space due to the top and bottom design elements. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for tight leading (take a look how badly Peter Leonard's name scans on his cover. What a waste of space -- and for no reason I can see.), but you can't cram that much into such a small space and have it be inviting to read. It's like the cover's designer fell in love with his nifty gun motif and let everything else become a slave to that.

And what's with all the mouse type under the author's name? Surely, some of it could have gone on the back cover.

Rule #1 in book cover design: Less is more. The most effective covers are able to sell from 20 feet away.

Mike Dennis said...

Great post, Linda. And it was well-served by the dramatic use of the two similar covers with identical titles. I would not want to be either of those authors.

However, I would also have to agree with Rick Blechta's comment that "The Little Sleep" cover could use some work. The intense yellow color is very dramatic and eye-catching, but I think all the little guns detract from the desired effect. Also, all the copy under the author's name looks like it would be nearly unreadable, even close up.

My first novel, "The Take", is being released sometime in 2010, and I'm definitely nervous about the cover design. Not that I have any great ideas for it, since that's not my forte, but I'm very hopeful the publisher will do it justice.

In any case, I think this is a topic that should stir up a lot of discussion among readers and authors alike.
--Mike Dennis
Las Vegas

Nancy J. Cohen said...

The cover for my 1994 book, Circle of Light, written as Nancy Cane for Kensington, is repeated in Janeen O'Kerry's book titled Sister of the Moon in 2001.

Nancy Cohen
Bad Hair Day Mysteries