Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Fiddler In My Head

Sounds crazy, no? But ever since I saw the 1971 Chaim Topol film, Fiddler on the Roof (beautifully directed by Norman Jewison), for the second time last week, my head has been filled with Sheldon Harnick’s tremendous lyrics. I hear them at least a dozen times a day: Tradition, Sunrise Sunset (which I sang at my own daughter’s wedding), To Life--the whole delicious schmeer.

Maybe this is a case for Dr. Oliver Sacks, whose 2007 book Musicophilia tells about various people’s extreme reactions to music, and was the basis for a recent, and fascinating, PBS-TV special. What do you think? What music is in your head these days--whether crime-fiction related or not?

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Isn't this the song that drive George mad on Seinfeld?

LB said...

Not mystery related...but...American classics like Rodgers & Hart's "My Funny Valentine"...Johnny Mercer's "Hit the Road to Dreamland"...Alan & Marilyn Bergman's "Summer Me Winter Me" and "The Summer Knows"...oh, and anything and everything of Jacques Brel. Those keep the "music loop" going in my brain.