Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Hard at Work Half a Planet Away

I’ve had several of my books optioned for film, and I have written several screenplays. But this week my first movie is being shot in Australia. It’s a short film based on my short story “The Bully” (which is available exclusively on Amazon.com for just 49 cents). I think it’s definitely the best short story I’ve written.

The producer of The Bully is Smoking Gun Productions; the same outfit is developing my first novel, Cold Caller, for the screen. The Bully was written and is being directed by a very talented filmmaker, Shane McNeil, and it has received full production funding from the South Australian Film Corporation (the SAFC is a also financing Cold Caller, but in that case I’m writing the screenplay). I’ve been getting updates all week from the set of The Bully (the cast looks perfect), and so far I’m told the shoot has been going very well. It’s an emotional story, and I hear there are lots of tears on the set.

As a former fledgling playwright, I remember how exciting it was to hear my words come out of actors’ mouths. It definitely makes me wish I was in Adelaide, Australia, this week.

2 comments:

JZID said...

I will add your short story to my MUST-READ list - I've read all of your novels except for your latest and "FAKE ID" which I am waiting until it comes out on hardcase. Can't wait to see the movies!

Jason Starr said...

Thanks so much! Yes, Fake ID is out in June (finally), and certainly pays to wait. The UK edition was very scarce.