Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Winner from Left Field

Winners of the 2008 Book Blogger Appreciation Week awards have now all been announced, and capturing the Best Thriller/Mystery/Suspense Blog is ... Bookgasm? Really? I don’t usually think of Bookgasm as a crime-fiction-oriented blog, except in the sense that it carries one of the best weekly book columns around, Bruce Grossman’s “Bullets, Broads, Blackmail & Bombs,” devoted to ferreting out the dustiest and most readable mystery/thriller pulp fiction from the late 20th century.

Of course, the only competitor in this category that I did think of as a natural contender was Peter Rozovsky’s excellent Detectives Beyond Borders. The others--Cheryl’s Book Nook, Jen’s Book Thoughts, Musings of a Bookish Kitty--I had never even heard of before today. Am I out of it, or are the Book Blogger Appreciation Week folks?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually we cover a lot of the crime titles not just what I feature in my column. I mean Stark House Press, Hard Case Crime, Bitter Lemon Press, Serpents Tail and Black Lizards new releases are always featured and reviewed. To name but a few.

Anonymous said...

I second the motion for Bruce's "BBB&B" column. It's a Wednesday morning ritual now: feed animals, fill coffee cup, read "BBB&B."

But for general crime fiction related material, The Rap Sheet is my #1 source. Thanks!

Jen Forbus said...

Well, maybe now that you've heard of me, you'll stop by. I'm only a one-woman shop and have only been blogging about books since January, but I do take an awful lot of pride in what I do.

(Jen from Jen's Book Thoughts)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the post. I regularly read Peter Rosovsky of course. I also regularly read about 20 excellent focused crime fiction blogs, none mentioned here. And I don't read any of the ones you mention in the post. I'll check out this weekly column now it has been mentioned and defined, though - so long as it has an RSS feed (an essential definition of a "blog" in my opinion - if it doesn't have RSS and option for readers to comment, it isn't what I call a "blog").

Anonymous said...

While it's true we're not exclusively a "Thriller/Mystery/Suspense" blog, few days go by without at least one of the reviews falling into at least one of those categories.

Philip Amos said...

I second both the post and Maxine's comment. Peter's excellent DBB is the only nominee that truly fits this category. I've looked at the other blogs named once each in passing, and by no stretch would I have thought of adding them to the list of crime fiction blogs I read on a regular basis. Very strange.

Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm just disappointed because my contract called for a $500,000 bonus plus an automatic kick-in of my option year had I won the award. And I guess I can kiss my chances of getting my picture on a Wheaties box good-bye.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/