Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ah, the Benefits of 20-20 Hindsight

New novelist Jeri Westerson (Veil of Lies) has a rather nice new interview with Julia Spencer-Fleming available in her blog, Getting Medieval. My favorite part comes when Westerson asks Spencer-Fleming, author of the new book I Shall Not Want--the sixth entry in her Reverend Clare Fergusson series--to revisit her debut work, 2002’s In the Bleak Midwinter.
If you could go back with that red pencil, what would you change in that first book?

JSF: This is a timely question, since I just started listening to I Shall Not Want in audio. First, I wouldn’t have everybody and his brother “levering” out of chairs. I really ran amok with that word. Second, I’d correct the egregious mistakes I made while in the heat of the scene (Clare dismisses her congregation, an act that’s reserved for deacons in the Episcopal church) or because I assumed what was true in Maine was true in New York (Department of Human Services for Children and Family Services). This last is an example of a great truth; it’s not what you don’t know that will trip you up, it’s what you mistakenly think you do know.

I’d pump up the police procedure more. I was still uncertain how much I could blend a procedural with an amateur sleuth, and as a result some of the investigative steps are sketchy. Finally, I’d give Clare some more in-depth reasons for doing what she does in the big action sequence. Several critics have pointed out she acts in a reckless manner that borders on TSTL (Too Stupid To Live). I feel I could change that if I had built up the backstory of the event more. But when I was writing In the Bleak Midwinter, I kept paring things away, because I was worried that at 107,000 words, it would be too long to publish! (It wasn’t. My latest clocks in at 127,000 words.)
The full interview can be found here.

No comments: