Friday, October 26, 2007

Stabenow Named Alaskan Artist of the Year

Alaskan novelist Dana Stabenow (Blindfold Game, A Taint in the Blood) will today be awarded one of her state’s highest honors. The author, whose 15th Kate Shugak mystery, A Deeper Sleep, will be published in January, has been selected to receive a Governor’s Award for the Arts. Tonight, at an event in Fairbanks, she will be named Artist of the Year.

“I’m pretty flabbergasted right now,” Stabenow notes on her Web site, “and kinda verbless along with it.”

If you happen to visit the author’s site, make sure you stop by her bio page. I know we don’t give awards for creative bio writing around here but, if we did, I suspect Stabenow would be a strong contender.

“In 1964,” she tells us, “the Great Alaskan Earthquake occurred during my twelfth birthday party. It was then that I realized I was destined for greatness, always supposing I survived the day.”

According to Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin and a veritable flotilla of fans, Stabenow’s early supposition was correct.

No comments: