Thursday, April 05, 2007

No Superheroes Here

Shots editor Mike Stotter tipped me off to this one. It seems that Fort Worth, Texas, resident Richard Wolfe, who says he’s been avidly “collecting comics since 1987 or so,” has scanned and posted his favorite crime comic-book covers from the 1940s and ’50s at a site called Crime Boss. Especially plentiful are his scans of Crime Does Not Pay, Murder Incorporated, and Crimes by Women. Also included, though, are the fronts from issues of Crime Reporter, Famous Crimes, and Prison Break!

Word had it that Wolfe was trying to unload his comics stock. But when contacted yesterday by e-mail, he explained that “while I did sell some of my collection, I still have the bulk of it. I’m no longer actively collecting, nor have I been for many years. I will probably still sell all of it when I get the time. It’s just a matter of motivation.”

Meanwhile, we can all enjoy the scans of those old crime comics, most of which I’ve never even heard of, much less seen before.

No comments: