Friday, February 16, 2007

On the Road Again

My invitation to the 61st annual Mystery Writers of America (MWA) Edgar Allan Poe Awards ceremony on April 26 arrived in the mail this week. The cream-colored card states that the theme of the event is “Black and White and Read All Over,” and Stephen King will be honored as the latest Grand Master. I was thinking this was all pretty cool ... and then I realized it has started: the annual conundrum staring me in the face--namely, which crime-fiction conventions am I going to attend?

Since any proposed conference trips are taken on my own dime, and because I am not towing a newly published novel (yet), my choices must be scrutinized, all opportunities weighed. For instance, I received a reminder e-mail yesterday from the MWA, telling me that Sleuth Fest will be held from April 19 to 22 at the Miami Beach Resort and Spa. Yet, that comes right before the Edgars. Hmm. I could conceivably fly down to Miami (which sounds really nice right now, given the colder-than-a-witch’s-tit weather here in Manhattan), and then return to New York. But I know I’ll have to pass on Sleuth Fest. At least this year. Don’t get me wrong--I’d love to go, especially since Law & Order producer/writer/legend René Balcer is going to be the co-guest of honor. I just can’t.

Since the Edgar ceremony is in my hometown, I’ll be there. Hey--the tux still fits. My dime is being further split to cover another event high on my list: the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, April 28-29. The land of Lew Archer, Elvis Cole, Joe Pike, and Harry Bosch. Palm trees, the Santa Monica Pier, and Mexican food. What’s not to like? Last year, Jim Fuselli (Hard, Hard City) told me that I “have to go” to this festival: It is a celebration of the book. That was enough for me. Ever since New York City suspended its annual New York Is Book Country festival, I’ve been in serious book fair withdrawal. I intend to mainline that whole L.A. weekend. Besides, a particularly talented trio of writers--Sean Doolittle, Duane Swierczynski, and Victor Gischler--will be in attendance. UCLA should be hopping.

The International Thriller Writers’ ThrillerFest will be held in New York City from July 12 through 15, so that’s pretty much a check on my list (and a short subway ride downtown). I’m particularly interested in talking to Nebraska author Alex Kava (A Necessary Evil). And then, because of my interest in the Midwest, and because this was one of the best conferences I attended last year, I’m heading back to Mayhem in the Midlands this year for the eighth annual conference, May 24-27 in Omaha, Nebraska. One word: steak.

Well, that dime I referred to before? It’s pretty much gone after all these bookings, and I dont hear any more coins jingling in my pocket. But there’s so much more I could do. What about the Book Passage Mystery Writers Conference in San Francisco, June 28-July 1? Michael Connelly will be one of the faculty authors for that conference, and if you’re an aspiring novelist, how do you pass that up? Then of course there’s Bouchercon 2007 in Anchorage, Alaska, scheduled for September 27 to 30, and … well, the list goes on. And on. My apologies to any conference I haven’t mentioned--and there are undoubtedly several.

The art of the matter here is how to best allocate your resources. You want to get the most bang for your buck, whether youre promoting a novel, or only networking.

Oh, damn. I forgot about Tony Hillerman’s Writer’s Conference in November. New Mexico would be so cool ...

No comments: